Question Yamaha Integrated vs Yamaha Stereo Receiver Model Numbers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Marvt74, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Anyone have any idea how the Yamaha stereo amps compare to the stereo receivers?

I'm currently looking at building a shortlist and was looking at the Yamaha S801 which is around £600. However they also do a model called the 803D which looks to have the same specs of the S801 but with network/streaming extra functionality. It's also about £50 cheaper.

Lower down the range it seems they have alternate numbers. So i presume the S301 is comparable to the 402D and the S501 is comparable to the 602D

Actually, now i'm talking it through i assume therefore that the 803D is more likely to be comparable to the S701 rather than the S801.

Anyone have any idea for confirmation though? Spoke to Peter Tyson and the sales guy i spoke to on the phone had no idea other than to say they were both great amps :/

2. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Get my gear from Peter Tyson and to be honest whilst they sell Yamaha they in my experience have very little knowledge of their products. I have an AS1100 purchased from them, the guys I spoke to admitted they had never heard it and knew nothing much about it, suggested I try it under distance selling regs. I asked Yamaha a question last night online they replied first thing this morning if you want to ask them. Personally I would go for the 803 if you do not currently have a method of streaming/listening to internet radio. I have the 602 in my front room and that is an excellent piece of kit, I have read that the 803 is even better, if nothing else it is a newer product than the others.

3. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Cheers

I was erring towards thats but then have seen an S801 ex demo model for £520 which puts it in a better price bracket for me.

I have a raspberry pi running Volumio for my streaming needs so whilst it'd be handy having it all in the 803 it's not imperative for me.

4. Cornish Dave

Cornish Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Well if you are happy with that AS801 I would go for it everybody on here believes it is a very good piece of kit!

5. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Cheers, i ended up ordering ex-dem S801 for £499 in the end which is being delivered tomorrow. The store is fairly local to me so if i decide against it i can always return it.

Looks like the main difference between the S801 and the S701 is the addition of a USB input which will be handy for me connecting the Raspberry Pi.

6. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    As the R-N803D costs £559 I would have spend the extra £60 to have all the built in streaming features and made life simpler with more features.