1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha input rename?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Chipster, Nov 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I have a Yamaha DSP A2. It is an old amp by today’s standards, but I'm still happy with its performance, especially movie soundtracks.
    I just bought a new HK DVD25 and now have the ability to hook it up using a Coax connection, (my old player only had optical out) however the amp only seems to have an allowance for this on the CD input.

My question: Is there any way to rename the CD input to DVD?

I have read a couple of threads here where this is possible on other Yamaha amps but no mention of mine. Also the manual makes no reference to this either. Bearing in mind the manual appears to have been written and translated by a 5 year old, I hope somebody may know of a way round this.

PS. I am very happy with the HK25 and have tried both the optical and coaxial cables, the difference was VERY subtle but with the coax there was a small improvement in surround detail.

Many thanks in advance.

Chipster.

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chipster,

Welcome to the forums :)

I've just had a look thru the user manual for the DSP-A2 from the yamaha website and their is no mention at all about input renaming.

It looks as though it's not an option on that model :(

Taken from a review from homecinema:

The final audio connections facilitate hook-up to your digital sources. Four TOSlink optical terminals and just one coaxial electrical terminal sit beneath the Dolby Digital RF input (the DSP-A2 has a demodulator – good news for laser disc owners!). This is far fewer than can be found on the DSP-A1. Significantly, each of the digital inputs is tied to its respective source name, unlike other amplifiers/receivers that can assign any digital input to any source name.

With the DSP-A2, if you connect a digital input to ‘DVD/LD’, it has to be TOSlink or Dolby Digital RF; likewise the mini disc input which can only be optical. Personally, I think one coaxial digital input permanently assigned to CD just isn’t enough. There is, however, a TOSlink optical output, so digital input sources can be sent to a DAT, DCC or, more likely, a mini disc recorder.

link:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/tes...estbench/Amplifiers/Yamaha/YamahaDSP-A2.shtml

regards
    Gary

3. bramdo

bramdo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Chipster,

I have a dspa2 myself and searched for this over a year but changing it isn't possible and also the video on the amp with dvd wouldn't correspond anymore but i shouldn't care since the difference is not noticeable during films and if you use it as a cd source, connect a coax cable too with the same source and than you can keep your stereo settings and dvd setting seperate.
    Can I ask you how you connect speaker cable because this Belgian Hifi addict wants to upgrade his speaker cable but they damned yamaha dspa2 binding post make this impossible :roll:
    Fellow forum members recommended an upgrade with www.videotec.co.uk but shipment of an 25 kilos amp would cost a fortune for a 45 pound upgrade. Would these http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3362053094&category=36674 fit in the binding posts or am i doomed?
    Thanks,
    BRAM

4. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your kind welcome and research Gary and Bram, it looks like I'm stuck with the current available settings. Things could be worse I guess and I intend holding on to the amp, at least until I win the lottery.

Bram, as far as speaker cable is concerned, I had no choice other than find the largest quality cable that would fit the posts. Those plugs on e-bay do look good though, and have given me an idea for when I upgrade my cable along with new speakers soon. I did read somewhere that on some Yamaha amps you could prise the tops off the post knobs to reveal banana sockets, but I haven’t had the chance to check this out, might be worth a look??

Any ideas on speakers? As I want so soften the sound a little for a better musical compromise but without losing movie impact. My budget would be around £600 GBP.

Great forum, and thanks again.

Chipster.

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a later model Yam reciever (RX-V100RDS) that has, from the looks of it, the same kinda speaker posts as the A2.

On my receiver the centers of the posts can be poked out in order to accomodate 4mm banana plugs, i use QED Silver Profile 12 bi-wire cable for all speakers into 4mm banana plugs.

check em out

regards
    Gary

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just checked my speaker posts and it looks the knobs are sealed with only a small hole in the end. Couldent see a way of exposing banana plugs at all.

Thanks anyway Gary