1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha HTR5640/RXV440 sub crossover

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mooky, Sep 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I mad or is there no way in this receiver to set the crossover for the sub?

Anybody who's got one of these care to comment ?

Mark.

2. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Unfortunately no. I have the same problem with my 630. Most of the lower/middle range Yamahas all have a fixed 90Hz crossover. Unless there is some internal modification which can be done?

3. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you've managed the crossover on the sub?

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Ideally you want to manage the crossover with the amp. You would set the crossover on the amp to be higher than the bottom end of the satellites (i.e if the sats go down to 100Hz you would want the amp crossover about 120Hz say). You would then set the crossover of the sub to it's highest setting - mine is 170Hz. That way the sub will not do any filtering as it is only getting signals at 120Hz and below.
    With the Yamaha you are fixed at 90Hz so as long as the sats go down below 90Hz then just set the sub crossover to its highest level and everything is hunkydory.
    If the sats die above 90Hz then there is a slight issue - one which i actually have as my Elac sats die at 100Hz. In this case if you are connecting the amp to the sub using a standard subwoofer cable the there will be missing frequencies between the sats dying at 100Hz and the subwoofer only getting frequencies at 90Hz and below. I don't notice this when listening to films.
    The other option is to let the the sub manage the crossover. Set the speakers as large and connect in parallel with amp using speaker cable. You would then set the subs crossover to be slightly above the dying point of the sats. This bypasses the amp crossover altogether and does not connect using a subwoofer cable.

Hope this helps

5. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Kef KHT 2005.2's.

The sats go down to 80hz. So ideally I would want the crossover on the AMP to be between 80-100hz. Given that my AMP is fixed at 90hz, that seems about perfect. So would you agree, given that my SUB has a frequency response of 30hz - 140hz that I *SHOULD* set my SUB to MAX ? and let the AMP send anything below 90 to it ?

Mark.

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah set the sub to max everything should work nicely. Just experiment with the sub volume to see how you like it.