1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha HTR5640 (or HTR5640RDS???)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Malkyboy, Jan 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a little confused here :confused: , please can someone shed some light?

I am looking at buying the Yamaha HTR5640 from Richer Sounds (£198.95 on web site). However is there a HTR5640 and a HTR5640RDS, and is there any difference, or are they one in the same thing??? (Richer Sounds only state a HTR5640) Have a look at the following link and the links to the PDF brochure and Instructions:-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1437

This link is for a “YAMAHA RXV440 / HTR5640RDS HOME CINEMA RECEIVER” the RXV440 being black and the HTR5640RDS being silver, but both listed as £209.95 (reduced from £299.95).

The details on this page say that both have 6 x 65W, however the brochure shows 110W (for the RXV440???) but Richer Sounds show 6x110W for the RXV440 and 6x75W for the HTR5640???

Also, Richer Sounds have the RXV440 at £219.95 (reduced from £399.95) and the HTR5640 at £198.95 (reduced from £299.95).

Am I missing something :suicide: , or is the above a bit confusing? If there are differences, please can anyone let me know before I take the plunge in buying one.

Cheers.

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Malkyboy

When using RMS standard (don't know what it stands for) = RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20-20,000 Hz) 6x65W (0.06% THD)

When using DIN standard (I think it is German standard) 5 x 85 W at 0,06 % total harmonic distortion, 20 Hz up to 20 kHz, 8 ohms, 6x110w at 6ohms, 6 x 135 W at 4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0,7 % total harmonic distortion.

I know that Japan uses a different standard but I can't remember the abbreviation.

The best is to use the number at 8ohms (as most speakers are 8ohms), and to know that DIN and RMS are different ways of measuring watts. Also the distortion is important, the higher the less clean the signal is. It is the capability of delivering the watts as clean as possible, so you will notice at the DIN numbers that lower ohms, the more watts but the sound is more distorted. But that is all according to labs numbers. How it is in real practise can differ.

Most manufacturers have numbers for both DIN and RMS, but depending on the country they sometimes chooses to promote one of them, in UK, I think it is just a case where some retailers uses the highest one, without even knowing the difference. In Germany they obviously only use DIN so that makes it easy to compare in terms of specs on the paper.

Wasabi

3. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I would imagine that the HTR5640RDS will have a built in tuner where as the HTR5640 will not.

4. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always new that there was a difference between RMS and Peak power. I think RMS = Root Mean Square, something to do with a sine wave, Peak being at top and RMS being the average or something like that (my Dads an electrician)!

Anyway, does the addition or omission of the "RDS" from the Yamaha HTR5640 mean anything, or are they both the same?

5. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about that too, but as Richer Sounds have it detailed on their web site as “Yamaha HTR5640 SILVER (AV Receiver)” it must have a tuner.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The HTR range has always only had receivers, so even if RS site doesn't say RDS afterwards, it is the "receiver" version, meaning that it is a amp with a radio.

So don't worry, go get it! For under £200, you get a true 6channel quality amp, and that is a great buy!

Wasabi

7. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Thanks for all the advise. If it all comes in their delivery tomorrow, I should be listening to my new system from Richer Sounds by the weekend (just need to buy some DVDs now!)

8. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a HTR5640RDS from Richer Sounds and its excellent !!

It does have a tuner and component and composite video in and outputs. Only thing it lacks is Svideo and additional digital inputs (only has 1 optical and 1 coaxial)

But enjoy if you can get your hands on one, as at this price they are going fast and I had to search all over london to get one.

NB I was sold the Teac AG5D first but exchanged for the Yamaha, nice piece of kit sounded lovely, not enough features for my liking, where as the Yamaha has an intergrated remote which can control your TV and DVD player regardless as to whether they are Yamaha make and this is a real bonus !!!

Enjoy

9. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking forward to getting my hands on one, but just checked with Richer Sounds and it may be a couple of weeks before they get anymore in now! The speakers and DVD should be in tomorrow but no amp!!! :mad:

10. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS, for anyones info, I asked RS about the significance of the RDS at the end of the HTR5640, and it's just that some people quote the code with and some without the RDS at the end. Also, the black version (RXV440) does have the same spec as the silver HTR5640, but is dearer as black is harder to get, seemingly.

11. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Futski, so it has component in as well?

Anyway, congratulations to a great buy!!!

Wasabi

12. Malkyboy

Malkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its got two component in and 1 out. As well as numerous composite in and outs.

And yes the RXV440 is exactly the same as the HTR 5640 RDS except for the fact that its silver...not check the price im afraid.

If you really want one try this web site as they claim they are in stock ...http://www.hispek.com/ never used them so dont blame me !!

Its also reviewed in this months (February 04) What HIFI or What Home Cinema. It came 3rd with 78-ish percent (read it in smiths at lunch time). Top was marants at £250 but yamaha came highly recommended, and I agree. Only down side has to be the hidiously designed remote, its black and crap. But plus points are that it does control tv and dvd (as said above) and it can stand up !!!! Now I am getting desparate !!

Enjoy

14. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Father in-law and brother in-law have just bought a black and silver one each from Hispek. IMO its the best you could get for £200. I previously owned the older model (RXV420) and have upgraded to the RXV740. I have bought two TV's and my first Receiver from Hispek and they have been very good. I had one TV from Hispek which was battered by the delivery company and Hispek replaced it with no quibbles.