Yamaha HTR-5550RDS AV Receiver

lexmark

Standard Member
Reaction score
I think this is the same spec receiver as the RX-V530 but in a different finish. I know that the item is a couple of years old now but it seems to tick all the boxes (number of digital connections, DD ex with phantom 6.1 etc.

Does anybody have any view on this please?

I had the same receiver as this for about two years and recently upgraded to a denon reciever. The Yamaha served me well for the time i had it. Excellent sound quality running through KEF KHT 1005's.

It was a good workhorse only area i think let it down was a tendency to leak sound into the rear speakers occasionally. Never too much of a problem though. I just sold mine for £80 to a friend who is well pleased with it.

Hope it helps buddy.

Rob

Thanks for the reply. One novice question I have is: the manual boasts of Dolby Digitial EX (6 channels) but no where does it mention DD5.1. If I only have a 5 speaker system is this a problem?

The DD ex is only a matrix 6.1 so uses your two surround speakers to replicate an extra speaker effect. To be bruttally honest it doesn't make too much difference really so your 5.1 package is all you need.

Any more questions please ask

Rob

Thanks again Rob. Does this amp auto switching between 5. 1 and stereo. In other words if I connect my SKY+ box via optical will it pick up 5.1 for the movie channels and automatically switch to Pro Logic II for non 5.1 broadcasts?

Can I assume that the display will always show which decoder is currently being used?

it switches automatically and yes the display shows what is currently being used. Very simple to use once you have it set up and will automatically switch to matrix 6.1 when you put in a DDex dvd like star wars or lord of the rings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom