Quantcast

Question Yamaha HTR-3065

Sparky1970

Hi, I've have the Yamaha HTR-3065 for around 6-7 years now, I'm now in the process of upgrading my tv to an LG oled. It mentions 4k pass-through on the specs of the av receiver, I take it thats 4k pass-through for audio only ? If so how is it generally connected to allow 4k pass-through ? Also does my Yamaha upscale for 4K because if it does I would disable it to allow the tv to do the upscaling ? I was considering upgrading the receiver but at a later date for Dolby Atmos but I dont know the difference in quality of sound to compare. I have mentioned in another post about connecting my system together and received some excellent answers but I thought that a new thread would be better suited here. i'm trying to get the best possible connection without losing image or sound quality. As I'm new to setting this up I'm getting a little confused 🤔

I will be connecting the following to the new tv -

Sky Q 2tb box
Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 surround av receiver
Fire TV | Streaming Media Player (Previous Generation–2nd)
PANASONIC - UB820 Smart 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & DVD Player

gibbsy

4K pass through refers to the video not the audio. There is no such thing as 4K audio. The audio on 4K is the same as that found on standard blu ray discs, ie Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA. The receiver should pass through 4K video. Whether you'll get any HDCP issues I don't know as I can't find out what level of HDCP is onboard the receiver. If you have no problems then connect all the units up to the Yamaha via HDMI with just a HDMI connect to the TV.

As for upscaling you will have to go into the HDMI set up and turn off all video upscaling if indeed there is any onboard. If you do get any issues with image then connect all your equipment up by HDMI to the TV and use the TV's optical out to the receiver for 5.1 sound.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha HTR-3065 predates HDMI version 2.0 and is only HDMI version 1.4 compliant. As such, it is not HDCP 2.2 compliant and its 4K capabilities are for all intense purposes useless. All commercial uHD video content is protected by HDCP 2.2 or higher copyright protection and cannot therefore be passed through any device that doesn't also comply with HDCP 2.2. You'd not be able to pass 4K UHD HDCP 2.2 protected video via this receiver and the frame rates of any 4K content would also need to be lower than 30fps.

You'd need a receiver with at least HDMI version 2.0 in order to get HDCP 2.2 UHD compliance.

I'd suggest that you use the 2 HDMI outputs on your Panasonic player to convey UHD video directly to the UHD display via the video HDMI output while simultaneously conveying HD audio to the AV receiver via the second audio HDMI output. Only the UHD video is protected by HDCP 2.2.

Last edited:

Sparky1970

The Yamaha HTR-3065 predates HDMI version 2.0 and is only HDMI version 1.4 compliant. As such, it is not HDCP 2.2 compliant and its 4K capabilities are for all intense purposes useless. All commercial uHD video content is protected by HDCP 2.2 or higher copyright protection and cannot therefore be passed through any device that doesn't also comply with HDCP 2.2. You'd not be able to pass 4K UHD HDCP 2.2 protected video via this receiver and the frame rates of any 4K content would also need to be lower than 30fps.

You'd need a receiver with at least HDMI version 2.0 in order to get HDCP 2.2 UHD compliance.

I'd suggest that you use the 2 HDMI outputs on your Panasonic player to convey UHD video directly to the UHD display via the video HDMI output while simultaneously conveying HD audio to the AV receiver via the second audio HDMI output. Only the UHD video is protected by HDCP 2.2.
Thank you for your reply,

Ok, I can connect the Blu-Ray this way for it to work but what would I need to do for the Sky Q please ? I will use the apps on the tv to stream 4k content whenever possible.

dante01

Distinguished Member
SKY don't encode anything they convey via their Q box with anything more than SD lossy DD+ audio. Simply pass this through the TV and out to your AV receiver via HDMI ARC. The SKY box doesn't handle or output HD audio. The same goes for the streaming services you are accessing via the apps on your TV.

Sparky1970

SKY don't encode anything they convey via their Q box with anything more than SD lossy DD+ audio. Simply pass this through the TV and out to your AV receiver via HDMI ARC. The SKY box doesn't handle or output HD audio. The same goes for the streaming services you are accessing via the apps on your TV.
Thats great thank you. So I'll connect Sky Q from the Sky Q box to the HDMI in ARC on the tv using a premium certified 4K HDMI cable, then connect the UB820 Blu-Ray player again using premium certified cable to an HDMI in port on tv and then connect the second port from the Blu-Ray player to the HDMI Blu-Ray port on the back of the AV receiver with a standard HDMI cable ?

gibbsy

Thats great thank you. So I'll connect Sky Q from the Sky Q box to the HDMI in ARC on the tv using a premium certified 4K HDMI cable, then connect the UB820 Blu-Ray player again using premium certified cable to an HDMI in port on tv and then connect the second port from the Blu-Ray player to the HDMI Blu-Ray port on the back of the AV receiver with a standard HDMI cable ?
ARC should the connection between the TV and the receiver only. You should connect the SkyQ to the TV HDMI other than the ARC. The BR again should go to the none ARC HDMI on the TV. I would use premium cables for all connections.

Connections should be:
Receiver to TV HDMI port labelled ARC.
SkyQ to TV HDMI
BR to TV HDMI.

Audio will then pass through the TV and back to the receiver via that ARC connection.

Sparky1970

ARC should the connection between the TV and the receiver only. You should connect the SkyQ to the TV HDMI other than the ARC. The BR again should go to the none ARC HDMI on the TV. I would use premium cables for all connections.

Connections should be:
SkyQ to TV HDMI
BR to TV HDMI.

Audio will then pass through the TV and back to the receiver via that ARC connection.
Excellent thank you 🙏

Sparky1970

Connections should be:
SkyQ to TV HDMI
BR to TV HDMI.

I won't need to use the second HDMI output on the Blu-Ray to Av receiver if using ARC ?

gibbsy

I won't need to use the second HDMI output on the Blu-Ray to Av receiver if using ARC ?
I would use the second audio out from the BR player as this will give you HD audio, ie, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD. ARC will only give Dolby Digital Plus as a maximum with is a lossy format. It's how I have my BR player connected to my TV and receiver.

Sparky1970

I would use the second audio out from the BR player as this will give you HD audio, ie, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD. ARC will only give Dolby Digital Plus as a maximum with is a lossy format. It's how I have my BR player connected to my TV and receiver.
Do you recommend using a 4K premium certified hdmi cable for the second audio out for this connection ? Going to order the cables today, regards

gibbsy

Do you recommend using a 4K premium certified hdmi cable for the second audio out for this connection ? Going to order the cables today, regards
You may as well get one in the first place although audio only doesn't need it. Premium cables are for 4K video, or combination of video and audio. Audio only is fine with older cables.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd not be financially penalised if opting to use Premium certified cabling, not if opting to buy these:

The Monoprice Premium certified cables are cheaper than most non certified HIgh Speed cables if purchased directly from MOnoprice.

It should also be noted that HIgh Speed and Premium cables are basically the same. The only difference is that Premium certified cables are actually tested relative to 4K UHD useage.