Yamaha HTR-2071 flicker and possible replacement

brainwrong

Standard Member
I bought a Yamaha HTR-2071 a couple of years ago - it was connected to a 1080P Sony TV from about 2009.

I've recently bought a new 4K Samsung (QN94A). The connection setup is HTPC ----> AVR <--arc-- TV

and I've got a couple of problems:

• Flicker is introduced on starting the PC but also on black->content transitions. It self-stabilises within a few seconds.
  • The TV regularly switches back to TV speaker instead of the receiver; there is some power on/off sequence associated with this

If I connect the PC directly to the TV, I don't get flicker at least (not sure about the second problem), but 5.1 sound becomes at best partially supported - mostly stereo - due to something to do with LPCM.

The Yamaha has ARC, not eARC, and I suspect this to be a factor. There is also no prospect of firmware update on the Yamaha, it has no network or USB.

I'm tempted to replace it with something a little bit better featured like a Denon AVR-S660H or AVR-X1700H, but it's a fair expense and I don't want to speculatively do that if it doesn't resolve anything.

What do we think? Likely to help?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom