1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha HTiB45 vs Sony HT-DDW840

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by npower32, Aug 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. npower32

npower32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am making my first foray into Home Cinema and have more or less decided to opt for a budget sub/sat system, eg Yamaha HTiB45 or Sony HT-DDW840 as I already have a DVD player. My reasons for this are primarily aesthetic but also cost. Large speakers, especially the fronts and centre, just won’t look good in my living room - trust me on this. The musical ability of the speakers is not of prime importance although, obviously, good performance musically would be a plus.

In terms of cost, my thinking is that, if I decide down the line that the sub/sat system doesn’t cut the mustard, I won’t have blown a fortune and I can reconsider the avenue of full-size speakers. I also know a good second home for a budget system so I can re-coup a good deal of my investment. If I were to opt for a more expensive sub/sat system, eg Kef eggs or B&W VM1s plus receiver, then I would have a system I could not afford to ditch.

My questions are, firstly, does my reasoning make sense? I know the Kef eggs, for instance, will probably give better sound than the Yamaha or Sony but not as good as a decent full-size system. Is it worth taking the risk on the eggs (or anything else you can suggest) knowing that I will be stuck with them if they don’t do the job satisfactorily?

Secondly, does anybody have any other suggestions for budget systems other than the Sony and Yamaha and what are you opinions on the relative merits of these to packages? I had considered the AE Aego P5 but ProLogic II is a must. I know Panasonic and Pioneer do similar systems but, as far as I can see, they are all just ProLogic.

Any advice or opinions on the above would be most appreciated.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would go for the STR DE585 on its own (same receiver as supplied in the HT DDW840), and buy either the SAVE 325/335 or SAVE 525/535 Sony speaker package. The subs supplied in these seperate packages are more powerful and the speakers are better quality. Wouldn't cost that much more buying them seperate like this. Check www.uk.pricerunner.com or www.price-guide.co.uk

3. npower32

npower32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Simon1. I was beginning to come to that conclusion myself. I can get the Sony STRDE585 and SAVE335 for £400 or the Yamaha RXV430 and NSP320 for £380.

Does anyone have an opinion on which package is superior?

TIA