1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Htib45 or Sony HTK25 ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bascombe, Jun 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I am a home cinema newb looking for a reasonably priced solution under £300. While the Yamaha rxv430ds plus mission speakers (m72 I think) sounds good by all accounts, its a little beyond my reach price wise. Various posts on this forum have recommended the Yamaha htib45 (tho the speakers are by all accounts a little weak), while the Sony HTK 25 is by repute also a decent system (again, with some positive posts on this forum)- although, oddly, there seems a strange lack of 'official' reviews on the web and elsewhere of it (the HTK).

Currently, I am playing dvds off a pc with a hollywood plus decoder card (and the image quality is fine for the mo-it has an output for digital audio, which is byall accounts pretty decent), and I am looking for a good starter home cinema set up - tho if it can manage the (very occasional) music cd, well and good. I know the yamaha kit is probably better for upgrading (tho the more expensive of the two), tho the HTK appears upgradable (speaker wise) to a degree also, and is cheaper.

bascially, I'd like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to hear both - is one clearly better than the other, sound wise? I know decent separates are the ideal way to go, but for this kind of budget (and the closer to £200 it is the better), which offers the better solution?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Bascombe

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I say Yammaha (not heard the sony) Just because you can keep an eye out for a good deal on speakers and get them when you can afford them.
    Buy the Sony and regret it 6 months later (possibly) Or buy the Yamaha and spend every spare penny upgrading(probably) SO over to you mate try and listen too both and decide withyour own ears!!!!

3. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the response. I finally found a review of the htk in a mag-thenew ish of what home entertainment, It sounds like an ok system. Does anyone have experience of upgrading the speakers for it?

Cheers

Bascombe

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Try the Yam with Mission m70s or m71is. I'm using it with m70s (only in two-channel mode at the moment, due to budget and room size) and the results are very impressive!

RRPs for m71is are £130 a pair and £100 a pair for the m70s. The Cinema m70 kit features two pairs of m70s, a centre speaker and a sub (can't remember their model numbers at the moment). It's been well reviewed by What HiFi.

For cabling, QED Original is a decent budget cable at £2.50 a metre.