Yamaha HTiB40 performance with Toshiba SD210E DVD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jboyes, Jan 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. jboyes

jboyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to the valuable knowledge I've obtained from the forums I've decided on the above setup and been successfully steered away from buying an all-in-one package.

Before I buy, can anyone confirm that the Yamaha amp and speakers will perform well in harness with the Toshiba SD210E DVD player?

John

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't confirm whether the Tosh will work well with the Yamaha but it should as you basically connect via a digital cable. I can however recommend the HTIB40 which I have just set up with the Yamaha S520 DVD player. The surround sound is amazing.

3. jboyes

jboyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mitch.

What's the audio quality like on your system when playing audio cds, that's another of the things I'm weighing up.
    I think a few previous posts have indicated that the Yamaha performs reasonably well when playing audio cds. . .

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the audio is pretty good as well as the receiver has got a number of programmes which enhance the sound and you get all the bassy sounds via the subwoofer. I have got it setup in my front room (13x17 foot) and at half volume is pretty loud.

You could also connect a dedicated set of hifi speakers as well as the receiver has A and B Speaker channels. I have not tried this yet as I am still trying to decide where to put the rear speakers and conceal the cables. I'll try it tonight with my HIFI speakers and let you know tomorrow what it sound like but I'm sure it will be pretty good.

By the way I bought my system from hispek.co.uk although over the phone as advertised in What HiFi for £379 and it was delivered next working day.

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was under the impression that most Yamaha amps and receivers had the A&B main speaker terminals... as Mitch confirms.

If you get yourself a decent set of hi-fi speakers, don't really need anything massive, you could get fantastic stereo audio from your amp. Or you could stay with the sub and satellites. Many films are extremely musical, so they need to be able to handle music anyway. I wouldn't see you having any problems.

6. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I thounght, the sound was still pretty good via my HiFi speakers but it probably best if you can listen to the setup you want so that you can decide.

7. mickeyc

mickeyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone advise me please.

Iwould like to add the YAMAHA HTiB to my TOSHIBA 210 but am unsure of the best way to connect it.

I currently use a QED SQART from the TOSH to the RGB scart on the SONY WEGA which gives cracking sound and vision.

By adding the HTib40 would I lose this connection?

I dont want to sacrifice sound over vision.

Is it DVD to TV or AMP to TV via scart.???

Look forward to your replies.:confused:

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You retain the connection to the TV via scart for the RGB picture. The sound is also sent but you'll turn that down on your TV, for the following reason:

You'll need to send audio information from the DVD player to the amp via a digital connection, either through an optical or coxial cable. This is needed to carry the info for the digital surround formats, such as Dolby Digital and DTS. This in no way effects the connection between the DVD and TV. This will be far superior than any sound reproduction you'll find from a TV.

In summary it's

DVD ---> TV
    DVD ---> AMP

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you will not loose this connection, all you are adding is an external amp and speakers, just connect your DVD to the amp via coaxial/optical lead to enjoy the D/D DTS sound.

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks for your help as always.

I'll let you know how I get on.:cool: