Yamaha Hd input querie

gordiegords

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I guys, quick one here, I use to have a basic setup of Xbox and sky, I used to plug an optical cable from Xbox to amp for 5.1 and I used phono leads for the sky box, now I have a virgin box and a ps3 to add to the mix, my Yamaha amp has 3 hdmi inputs and one hdmi output, how should I play this? Is it just a simple case of plugging the Xbox ps3 and virgin box into the 3 hdmi inputs on the amp them 1 hdmi from the amp to the tv? Is that all I should do?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Gordie.

Is it just a simple case of plugging the Xbox ps3 and virgin box into the 3 hdmi inputs on the amp them 1 hdmi from the amp to the tv? Is that all I should do?

That is about it. Unlike SKY boxes, Virgin boxes output 5.1 via HDMI. The PS3 can output multichannel formats via HDMI too and the Xbox can also output 5.1 via HDMI so you only need HDMI from all 3 boxes to the amp and another HDMI connection from the amp to your TV for the video.

You'll probably need to configure all three devices accordingly so that they all output multichannel audio via HDMI.

Can you confirm the model number of your amp? In some the HDMI is a switch only and you still need other audio inputs. Probably not, but good to check.

Yes this is what I thought, I think it could be the one with the switch :-( its a Yamaha rxv 363 I'm sure, where does that leave me?

Thanks

Yeah, that'll just be a switch. So you can use that, but you'll probably need a separate optical switch to get all your sources in. Or upgrade your amp if you can, HD Audio thru' HDMI is a given on a new amp.

:-( that would mean I don't have an audio option for the virgin box? What is the point of the switch?

Thanks

Gordie

:-( that would mean I don't have an audio option for the virgin box? What is the point of the switch?

Thanks

Gordie

HDMI video switching was introduced prior to HDMI audio support being adopted by the AV manufacturers. All AV amps now support audio over HDMI, but they didn't initially and the first to do so were the higher end models.

If you connect both an HDMI and a separate audio connection for each component to your amp then you still get the ability to switch from one component to another while correctly routing the video signal through to your TV.

If you do not have enough digital audio inputs for all 3 components then you may need an S/PDIF optical hub/switch such as this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Optical-...I2EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323162469&sr=8-1

Such a switch will unfortunately not switch inputs automatically and needs to be operated manually. It basically facilitates the connection of more than 1 optical audio device to a single optical input.

The optical output of a Virgin STB also has the ability to carry DD 5.1.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have three digital inputs on the amp, two optical and one coaxial, there is an output on the virgin box that is spdif, is that the same as an optical? Am I being silly here? I it was then I could put the virgin and Xbox into the optical inputs and do the ps3 into the coaxial using an optical to coaxial converter .

Would that work pal?

I have three digital inputs on the amp, two optical and one coaxial, there is an output on the virgin box that is spdif, is that the same as an optical? Am I being silly here? I it was then I could put the virgin and Xbox into the optical inputs and do the ps3 into the coaxial using an optical to coaxial converter .

Would that work pal?

S/PDIF is the protocol that governs both digital optical (TOSLink) and coax audio connections. Yes, you can connect the V Box to the optical input of the amp.

Yes, you can use a convertor to allow optical connection to digi coax or visa versa.

Yes, your proposed connections should work ;)

Brilliant so just to clarify, virgin box and x box connected to the amp via optical digital cable, ps3 connected with an optical coaxial cable, yes? I won't bother with the hdmi cables going into the amp then, I'll just put them straight into the tv.

Thanks

Ah yes I seen that, another thought I had was using a scart to phone out for the virgin box as I'm not sure how many of the virgin channels would actually be 5.1, this leaving me just needing two optical connections for the consoles, what do you think?

Ah yes I seen that, another thought I had was using a scart to phone out for the virgin box as I'm not sure how many of the virgin channels would actually be 5.1, this leaving me just needing two optical connections for the consoles, what do you think?

I'd personally stick with your original plan. All HD channels apart from ITV use Dolby Digital and many HD programmes now utilise DD 5.1. Apart from this, the SCART adaptor plus RCA cables is a messy affair in comparison to the one optical connection.

What model TV do you have and can it passthrough DD 5.1 via its optical output? If so then you could connect the V box to the TV via HDMI and then pass the audio through to your amp via the TV's optical output.

Last edited:
The tv doesn't have an audio out, I'm
Tryin to keep the price down that's why I thought of the phono idea, ok I'll maybe go for that then, a few cables to buy :-/

I've noticed now the tv only has 2 hdmi inputs, I take it a splitter will solve this?

Thanks for all help

Gordie

I've noticed now the tv only has 2 hdmi inputs, I take it a splitter will solve this?

Thanks for all help

Gordie

Not a splitter, but a switch. The two items are different and should not be confused. A splitter or matrix takes one or more inputs and divides up the output to more than one. A switch allows more than one input, but only has one output. Note that you cannot send the signal back in the other direction so a splitter cannot be used as a switch.

This is the type of switch you'll need:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-SWITC...5QDY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323185153&sr=8-4

You could of cause go back to using the amp which has an integral HDMI switch for two of your HDMI components and use its single HDMI output to your TV. The third HDMI component can then use the one remaining HDMI input on the TV.

Last edited:
Not a splitter, but a switch. The two items are different and should not be confused. A splitter or matrix takes one or more inputs and divides up the output to more than one. A switch allows more than one input, but only has one output. Note that you cannot send the signal back in the other direction so a splitter cannot be used as a switch.

This is the type of switch you'll need:
Neet® - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX with REMOTE - 3x1: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You could of cause go back to using the amp which has an integral HDMI switch for two of your HDMI components and use its single HDMI output to your TV. The third HDMI component can then use the one remaining HDMI input on the TV.

I see, yes why did i not think of that, i could plug the ps3 and the xbox into the amp hdmi inputs and plug the V Box into the tv, Right i think i'm sorted not, I use a harmony remote, I'm hoping i wont have too much trouble setting all this up.

Thanks

Gordie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom