yamaha front effects - total waste of time?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jasper_mccrea, Jun 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I'm putting all my stuff into my new living room, and since my amp (mere 750) is capable of running front effects or rear centres, I thought I'd give the front effects a whirl.

Absolutely useless. Couldn't hear any difference. I had to put my ear beside the speaker to make sure there was something coming out of it.

And before you ask, yes, it was set up right. Or I ran the auto calibration anyway, and the wiring diagram showed the FEs up OK.

I think I'll just run a centre rear instead.

Jasp

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that those front effects only work while using Yamaha's dsp modes. Or am I stating the bleedin obvious and you knew that already :)

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yeah, I was switching back and forth between standard and DSP. No difference in what I could hear from the sofa, but when I put my ear next to the speaker, there was definitely something coming out of it.

4. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Jasper, invest in speakers for the rear channels get 2 if you can, 'cause it will make a big difference to your enjoyment. I tried the effects channels when I first got my Yamaha and like you was completely underwhelmed. :eek:

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No room for two at the back, I'll have to run a single in the centre. :) I think I'm pushing things to get away with that, anyway..

6. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,186
    I do like the effects speakers. Set to 70mm movie I find they do open up the whole sound.
    Having said that, if you only have the option of front or back then the back centres are much more important