1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha e800

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Reiner, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The E800 is merely a pre-amp for the front (stereo) channels as it does not have built in amplification (except for center and rears), hence it depends a lot on the power amp how it's going to sound (though of course the pre-amp does influence it somewhat).

Since you do have a five channel power amp, why would you want to buy the E800 and not a "proper" AV pre-amp, IMHO Rotel has one which is fairly priced!?

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am looking at purchasing the e800. How does it sound in straight stereo (with CD's). I will be using it with a Rotel RB985 MKII 5 Channel Power Amp ?

[This message has been edited by common (edited 08-03-2001).]

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would love a Rotel AV Pre-amp but the 'base' model in the range is £650 against £230 for the e-800. I am currently using my Sherwood 925 as a pre-amp but I find the sound a little harsh and it lacks DTS. Do you think I would see any advantages in using the yamaha ? any suggestions welcome, saving for the Rotel pre amp is an option. Thanks

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm using a DSPE-800 as a processor to an Arcam AV50 + Alpha 9 power amps. And to be honest I think it does a fine job of decoding, however I haven't really tried it as a Stereo amp since all stereo sources just use the Arcam.

However I have used it in straight through stereo mode when listening to radio stations on Sky Digital, so if I get chance I'll try and check out any differences between the 2 by doing a bit of re-wiring (maybe the weekend though unless your in a hurry !)

Cheers

Slingshot

5. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks mate - I look forward to your views next week.

6. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I have a DSP-E800 connected to my Rotel 980 Pre/Power Amps. The sound is awesome. I am more than happy with it. Setup was a bit fiddly but I got a lot of help from Reiner in this forum and from Rotel and Yamaha themselves.

I'd say at £230 it's an absolute steal. What HiFi loved it and could not find any fault with it whatsover.

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Presumably though you are using your Rotel Pre-Amp for stereo sources, what common wants do (I think ?) is use the DSPE-800 as a Stereo Pre-Amp aswell (i.e. turn the effects speakers off) for normal Stereo sources.

I don't disagree with the DSP as a decoder for movie sources it is pretty impressive, however I'd be surprised if it's that great as a stereo pre amp, mind you I'll find out at the weekend.

Slingshot

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had an E800 on loan whilst my Rotel 966 processor was being repaired and used it in conjunction with the 985MKII power amp. It was very good, not as good as the 966 for music - the 966 had a more natural (less processed) sound but the Yamaha is unbeatable for the money. The only thing it doesn't have is a phono input but I guess that won't bother many people.

Incidentally, Rotel attempted to fix my 966 three times (DTS drop out problem) but failed and so I took a refund and got a TAG instead.

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So you wouldn't recommend the 966 then ? I was lent a Rotel 976 Processor over the weekend - And as you would expect for £900 the sound was amazing (spent a great couple of hours listening to old DVD's and hearing new things) What do you know about this unit ? It picked up DTS fine on the discs I used. Was is it just a software problem with the 966 and do you know if it's fixed with the 976 ? sorry for so many questions but I think I've got to buy the 976 after hearing it.

10. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    OK did some rewiring at the weekend so I could compare using the AV50 as a stereo pre-amp and the DSPE-800.

Firstly I have to say it wasn't as bad as I expected, but really not in the same league as the Arcam. I tried it with 2 CD's (couldn't be bothered to connect up my TT and try it with that). The first track was ready or not by Repulica and the second was God is a DJ by Faithless.

Note I made sure all efects on the DSP were turned off.

1 - The vocals on Republica sound far smoother and more natural on the Arcam.

2 - the jangly guitar at the start of Ready or Not sound slightly processed and less dynamic on the DSP.

3 - The low vocals on God is a DJ were very bassey on the Yam and made it very difficult to actually hear the words.

4 On both tracks the bass was more thummpy and wooley an the Yam, in fact at first I had to double check I hadn't got the subwoofer on and set too high.

I guess it really depends on what you listen too, and what sort of sound you like. I've always liked the way Arcam stuff sounds smooth and musical (which is why I bought it), however you might find the Yam OK if you like thumpy dance music, I found the bass to be the worst thing about using the Yam, I honestly don't think that you'd notice the vocal differences too much, but the bass sounded impressive for the first 30 seconds, but then just got too much.

Anyway don't know if this helps at all, or even makes that much sense but it was an interesting test for me.

However a couple of caveats that you may want to bear in mind with the above.
    1 - I used a Kimber PBJ from the CD to the Arcam, however it wasn't long enough to reach the processor, so I had to use a cheaper and slightly longer inconnect, one of the cheap Cambridge Audio cables.
    2 - I play bass so probably ended up being over critical about the bass because I tend to notice it more.

All the best with whatever you decide to go for.

Slingshot

11. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Common, I couldn't recommend the 966 myself because of the problems I had with it but I know from this forum that another 966 user had his DTS drop out problem fixed - this was particularly annoying for me i.e. the problem clearly was/is fixable but despite 3 visits to Rotel, my unit came back with the same problem each time.

You can imagine how tedious this was e.g.
    1. Disconnect 966, box up, take to dealer
    2. Unbox and connect up loan Yam A5
    3. Disconnect Yam A5 take back to dealer and get "fixed" 966 back
    4. Connect up 966 - it still drops out on DTS

Then repeat no.s 1 to 4 twice!

Just reading all that is annoying enough so you can imagine what it was like in reality. It's a shame because other than that fault the 966 was everything I wanted and when I finally got a refund there was nothing else suitable in the same price range - it was either an E800 (downgrade), a Cyrus AV processor (good but not what I was after), Rotel's RSP985 (another Rotel? - thanks but no thanks) or a "break the bank" TAG.

I ended up getting an ex-demo TAG for £1850 so it didn't break the bank it just severely dented it and I must say that it's worth every penny (although a phono input, a headphone jack and 5.1 in would have been nice!).

As for the 976, I would truly hope that Rotel have fixed any bugs but I'd still try out a few DTS discs (T2 and MIB tripped up my 966) just to be sure. If it's okay then go for it.

I hope this information is helpful.

12. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Brought the Rotel RSP 976 this weekend - Retail £900 got for £765 so very happy with price and sound. Thanks for all your help

13. mark.king

mark.king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the dsp e800 with an audiolab 8000s amp which has an av position. This splits the pre/power amp so I can feed the main out from the yamaha into the amp and all control is from the the yamaha. I do not use the other inputs cd/tuner/tape on the yamaha as the audiolab pre-amp is far superior.

I have monitor audio silver 8i for main speakers and I have a kef95c. I bought this because it sounded more natural than most of the others and the monitor audio one was too bulky.

My rears are a pair of acoustic research speaker which used to be my main speakers about 8 years ago.

The sound I get is incredible, due I think more to the audiolab. I have just ordered the iplacoustics diy sub so I should be putting that together next week.

The dsp e800 is great if your main amp is already a goog one.

14. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the E800 as a processor in an Audiolab 8000C/Rotel amp heavy system..(5x upgraded bridged 850's)
    As you can imagine they have some control!, but I've always been curious about the Yamaha's handling of stereo sources (CD, MD etc)...so I tried it today...interesting,
    Apart from utimate extension....it sounds as good as most AV amps I have Demo'd!
    Surely a stonking bargain for £220!!
    Still want a Tag though :(