1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DVDS657

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by magicmushrooms, Oct 24, 2005.

1. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got a Yamaha DVDS657 DVD Player and what is their opinion of this player? I found a couple of very good reviews and I liked the idea that you could upmix CDs. Can anybody post any links for reviews? What are Yamaha DVD players like? Any useful advice would be helpful as I'm caught undecided between this and the pioneer dv585.

2. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an S550 which has been completely fault free, as for the upmixing I prefered the sound without, my only slight gripe with the Yammy was it didn't seem to handle blacks brilliantly, although this was on a 42 inch screen.the layer change is relatively quick on it, might give it the edge over the Pioneer. Don't know the 657, so I can't comment specifically on it, as a make I would always check Yamaha stuff out.

3. sanxion

sanxion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this player. It's connected to a 28'' Thomson Widescreen TV (Black DIVA tube) through a Yamaha RX-V750 Receiver. The connection between components is via S-Video cables. I think it gives a very good picture. Last weekend, I was watching "The house of the flying daggers" and the image is clear and brilliant.

Related to the upmix CDs issue. Please, consider that this feature is got only when the player is conected to the receiver using the multi channel analog output. It's not available through a digital connection. Actually, I haven't notice any difference; but it depends on the person.

As well as the image, sound is very nice also. I think it sounds goods; although probably a dedicated CD player is better; but this deck is more versatile and you get very good results for the price you pay.

One undocumented feature is that it detects HDCD discs. What I don't know if it uses the superior characteristics of this format or it's showing only that you have inserted a disc of this type.

I'm very happy with it.

Regards,

4. gconvery

gconvery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. gooner#14

gooner#14
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I received this player today having had a few problems with a Samsung HD950 (image positioning on accasions) which I have kept as its outside the 7 day on-line return thing. I have just finished boxing the Yamaha back up! I really don't have a clue what the reviews were going on about....Its the most average picture I have ever seen and miles behind the Samsung! I thought as it had 108mhz and 12 bit as apposed to the Sammys 54mhz and 11bit that I would be in for a treat....this is most definately not the case....jaggies and mpeg blocking abound on several dvd's on both interlaced and progressive....the only thing progessive does seem to do is further degrade an already distictly ordinary picture! Its not even that HDMI is way better than component on the Sammy.....maybe a little softer....but still light years ahead of this Yamaha on my Pioneer 436FDE. Just thought i'd post to let you know regardless of the good reviews....this is one to avoid.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow