1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DVDS540S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by noyce, Nov 10, 2003.

1. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know much about this dvd player. Can anyone confirm PAL progressive scan?

Help appreciated

2. Piya

Piya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look in What Viedo & Widescreen TV December 2003 issue. The Yamaha is on test. According to the mag, the player is capable of outputing pal and ntsc progressive signal.

I'm also interested in this player as well. Richer Sound has it at £109.95 multi-region.

Piya

3. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. The price seems a little bit too good to be true.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    My Brother has this player, stay well clear, it has a very poor de-interlacer.
    Its ok as just a normal player connected to a Tv. Not good enough for Projector or Plasma.
    The new Toshiba sd-530 may be a good one from RS at £180 MR.

5. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK mate, thanks for the honest opinion. I was a little bit curious when i noticed how cheap it was.

6. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did the magazine review say?
    I have one of these on my 28" Panasonic TV, nice picture and sound however the drive makes quite a racket sometimes :(

I'm happy with the amount of Media and formats it can read compared to my old Samsung DVD-511 (which was showing it's age)

7. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I too had one for a couple of days. For the money, the specs looked too good to be true - well they are.
    Definitely don't get one if it's the PS features you are after. The Limit players that Richer Sounds sell, whilst not perfect are a far superior picture in PS than this Yamaha.
    This is only viewing on a 42" screen, I dread to think how awful it would look projected.

8. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another glowing recommendation
    great :(

Think I'll remove the damn thing from my Signature :eek:

BTW What does the de-interlacer do?
    Anything to do with making colours on sky, clouds and walls etc seem patchy?

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Wouldn't worry - interlaced output on a 28" screen is probably fine - the reason for the interest in this player is that it's from a 'name' manufacturer, supports PAL Prog Scan, and is cheap.

Unfortunately the de-interlacing is not good.

I did like the 'resume' function that remembers the last 5 dvds though. My 757ai can't do that ;)

10. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the words of comfort Nike :D

Can you explain what the de-interlacing does/is?

11. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Check out the 'sticky' thread over on the Progressive Scan Forum.

12. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err...Dunno if there was a dodgy batch of these players but I have to tell you guys that I use one connected to a ThemeScene projector and I watch it on 7 and a half foot screen and the picture in pal prog is breathtaking. I note that some of you are using the player with 42" Plasmas....could it be that you've just realised how much money you've wasted on cruddy screens and you need to blame something?

13. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You could be right there, as I can't believe the one I had was working properly.

FYI, I've had my plasma for nearly 2 years now and am more than happy with it - I'm not looking to blame anything.
    Out of the 3 PAL/NTSC PS players I've used with it the Yamaha was the worst by a mile. (as you point-out though, It could have been a faulty unit - my experience with it is not unique though)

I'm not looking to 'diss' anyone's kit, but posted because I have experience of the player being asked about by the original poster.

Finally ended-up with a 757ai and have not looked at another player since :D

14. pugwashgreg

pugwashgreg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought mine on advice of chrissandgate (cheers) - using with X1 and hoya filter. Well chuffed with picture- also on 7.5 foot screen. Don't know if its just me but the dreaded rainbows seem to be substantially decreased. For 129 smackers delivered on time , multi region and rce have no complaints.

15. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pugwashgreg, so pleased to hear you like the combo. Be honest now mate, do you think you could possibly have done better for the cash? Please tell me a bit more about the filter, I don't see many rainbows at all and even when I do they are so fleeting as to not bother me at all, but I'd be interested to see what the filter can do.

16. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Nike, pleased to hear that you're happy with your 757ai-I would be too if I'd payed around 6 times the price of the Yamaha. Can you honestly show me why this machine is around 500 quid better?, bearing in mind that I only want it to play dvds.

17. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I wasn’t attempting to compare the 2 machines, just saying what I ended up with: obviously there is a large price difference.
    Is the 757ai worth £500 more? Compared to the Yamaha I had; yes as the picture I had with it was nearly unwatchable – artefact city. Anything like window blinds or car radiator grilles would completely phase it and background detail was not stable. I was expecting this to be an improvement on the Limit player I had and it was not as good. The Yamaha I had did not improve any of the aspects of picture quality that Progressive Scan is supposed to improve. Whilst using it I could improve the picture by outputting an interlaced signal and letting the screen do the de-interlacing.
    As an added bonus, the Pioneer was an upgrade in sound quality over both previous players.

No, I can’t show you why it’s better, as to do so would involve a side-by-side comparison. As I said earlier, I posted on this thread to give an opinion on a player I had experience of, not to get into a pi**ing contest with someone who’s opinion differs from mine.

Yes, I ended-up spending more that I originally intended to, but I have a player that I’m now totally happy with – and that’s the main thing.