Yamaha DVDS540 or Cambridge Audio DVD57

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ChickenDevil, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After checking through the forums, I was going to get the Yamaha as it seemed to have everything I was looking for at a good price, and I also have a Yamaha decoder.

I went to Richer Sounds, but the salesman tried to persuade me to get the Cambridge Audio DVD55 or 57, which he said was a better player.
    He showed me reviews of these players which were good, but I understand that Richer Sounds owns Cambridge Audio, therefore you would assume that the staff are told to push their hardware.

Can anyone advise me of which is the better player in their opinion, or recommend a decent sub £150 player.

The Richer Sounds guy also recommended a Pioneer, but I can't remember the model number now.

I also intend playing my CD's on it, so I need good sound quality.

Thanks in advance.

(Newbie)

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    I say 'till I'm blue in the bloody face CA is owned by Audio Partnership PLC who are independant of RS but are distributed solely by RS in the UK but not the other 38 countries where the product is sold.

3. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    i agree stick with the yammy ,very good player for the money
    i was unfotunate enough to be talked in to buying a cambridge audio dvd57.could have been a great player but flawed.
    subtitles come on all the time which means constantly turning them of manually, which in turn stops subtitles that should be displayed -being displayed(extremely annoying to which RS had no answer to)so i took it back.
    so get the yammy
    great player

4. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice guys - Much appreciated!

Tons of Fun - I assumed CA was owned by Richer Sounds as the photocopy of the review that the guy gave me states: "...Cambridge Audio is an altogether different beast, owned by Richer Sounds' Audio Partnership" which suggests that Richer Sounds owns Audio Parnership??? if that makes sense.

Anyway, Thanks again.

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Christ guys

I had exactly the same issue today - posted further up.

I ended up leaving with a DVD-55, which I said I would try. If I dont like it I will be taking it back next week. I reckon there must be a lot more profit for them to sel lthe CA brand, because every RS shop I have been to the push those HARD!

I hope my DV-55 is not problematic with the subtitles, but it is annoying to know now that a newer range is to be release soon.

Thanks for the info.

Tony

6. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonetrainer - Let me know your opinion on the dvd55.

I still haven't bought the Yam, but found a shop selling it for £99.95 (multiregion), so I'm going to go for it tomorrow.

Cheers.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The Cambridge Audo dvd player looks so much like a generic chinese design. Perhaps they've fine tuned them or been manufactured with higher quality components or alternately perhaps they haven't and its just a huge profit margin for Richer Sounds. The DVD55 is very similar to the Compacks DVD5000 as sold in safeway for as low as £35. It may not be identical but it ain't far off.

Given the choice between the Yamaha and the Cambridge I know which one I would go for.

8. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bonzobanana You're right about the Chinese manufacturing.
    - Extract from Hi-Fi World & Computer Audio, July 2003:

"The 1990's saw the company (CA) being relaunched under the auspices of Richer Sounds' Audio Partnership, and a product range pitched in more affordable climes thanks to low-cost manufacturing in China."

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I don't mind if Cambridge Audio have designed a dvd player from the ground up using high quality components and in order to sell it at a competitive price had it made in China. However I suspect whats really happened is they've just rebranded a completely chinese design which can be had for a third of the price under a different name. Most of the japanese brands at least have some design input on their models even if they are assembled for them in china using low cost chinese components.

10. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Guys

The verdict

Good sound/vision PAL progressive is weird as the player keeps reporting its an NTSC if I recall PAL pics are 625 lines and NTSC are 525??

My PJ reported both PAL/NTSC disks in 525 lines regardless of interlaced or P/Scan. So I am confused.

Your comments about the chassis are correct. It looks CHEAP sat next to my existing Pioneer 414 and Yamaha amp and Sky+ box.

I really hate the display - it is unreadable because of the brightness and the display is a garish light blue that is unreadable beyond 5 feet where at 15 ft my Pioneer display is excellent.

whats the coulour of the Yamaha? The guy - Tim in Leicester branch of RS was slagging off the build quality of the Yamaha - does anyone own one of these?

Where is the yamah selling MR for £100 - As I am tempted to just buy one and ignore RS, this issue is beginning to get on my T*ts now.

Tony

11. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Yamaha DVDs540 here:

www.superfi.co.uk

The site says internet offer, but I rang my local store yesterday, and they're selling it at the shop for the same price (£99.95), and they have it in stock.

You can get it in silver or black.

12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks matey will order one for delivery me thinks, although I'll await the return of the unit I have first just in case they give me grief!

Tony

13. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    ChickenDevil

Have been checking out this SuperFi Site they also sell the latest Yamaha amps which I am seriously keen on so thanks for the refferal!

Tony

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Yamaha 540 and have had no problems with it. It outputs "proper" pal progressive as well. Got mine from RS about 6 weeks ago. Guess what - I took back a CA DV55 for it...:rolleyes: The fact that the display stays on and say StaNDbY when it's switched off was enough for me to go running straight back to the shop...:rolleyes:

You could always ask for a region 2 Yamaha at a cheaper price. The code to make it MR is so simple -
    Open the disc drawer
    Using the remote, enter 99990

Hey Presto - multi region!!

15. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Army Bloke

Nice one - I'll do that, what a star!

16. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought the player, and that's exactly what the bloke in the shop did:

Cracked open the box, opened the dvd drawer & entered the code.

17. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thats a bit of a flaming rip off if you ask me!!! Still we live in the place commonly called "rip off britain".

18. ChickenDevil

ChickenDevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I's still the cheapest I've found - under £100 for a Yam 540.

19. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are shops actually charging for dvds540's to be multi regioned?
    Well £100 is a good price anyway.

20. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my S540 from Richer Sounds and the salesman pointed me towards the CA 57 too!

After weighing up the 'What HI-FI' and 'What Widescreen Video' reviews, I decided to replace my Wharfedale 750 with the Yam.

For the money I cannot fault it. Colours and detail from DVD's on my 36ZD26p using the component inputs are stunning.

I'm not sure about the prog scan tho. As my TV only accepts NTSC prog scan, all my region 2 discs are being converted by the player (which I knew would happen) but I'm surprised at how much judder there is on the conversion. Running a region 1 disc (Matrix) in prog scan, NTSC, component inputs is superb, but I'm sure there's still a bit of judder .... maybe I'm being picky?

Still a good buy for £109 I think.

J.

21. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There will be judder mate - it's downconverting a disc that supposed to be shown in 60hz to 50 hz. You'll see judder - espicially on long pans...

22. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least I'm not going mad!

I presume thats on Region1 discs using Prog Scan on NTSC?

J.

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: Got that the wrong way round...NTSC is 60hz and pal is 50hz, so it's speeding the disc up but cutting down on lines (480 instead of 576)

24. Alan_Be

Alan_Be

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought a CA-55 from Richer on Friday and swoped it on Monday, I have an AE-300 with a 7' screen. The S-video was dismal but a huge step up when I tried it with component. It is better at shadow detail than the player I with.
    However it's weakness is chroma noise...a bright backround with a dark subject and it was lost in the noise, an example is in the chariot fight in Gladiator. The scene in the tunnel is very dark and the CA55 managed to bring out amazing detail stuff I don't think I saw in the cinema!, however...when they announce the Gladiators there is a shot of them together in the middle of the arena, Russell Crowe & co were just a big black blob with horrible black lines going everywhere!
    It was like edge enhancement gone mad, the pillars in the ring had extra black bars running parallel and seperate on the right side of every one...decision to go back to the shop was made first time I saw it.

25. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I finally picked up a DVDS540 today, so I'll be giving that a blast over the next couple of days.

I am trying not to order the new amp at the mo though - I'm desperate to hear all my speakers running - all wired up!

I took my CA 55 back last week, when I went to buy the yamaha - sales person tried conning me into the purchase of another CA product - without going too mad I told him in no uncertain words what I wanted and that he should respect that!

Cheers
    Cheers