1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DVD-S540

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MS-Yam, Sep 6, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked in an earlier thread whether anyone has used the new Yam S550. Having received no replies, I am now asking if anyone has experienced the older S540? I know there are a few good reviews on the machine, but I would like to hear from a long term user whether they are good solid realiable machines, and how they perform visually and sonically.

I have tried numerous DVD players now, and I am fed up of taking them back for various faults, bad quality etc..

I have a AX640SE which I am very happy with, so I think it may be a good idea to go for the new S550. The customer suport is also very good at Yamaha, which is a big factor in my opinion, unlike Pioneer and Cambridge Audio! :mad:

Any help appreciated.

2. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had the S540 for a long time (currently coupled to a 640 Yam amp and Gallo Micros).

The player is very good quality - build, picture, sound all excellent. Never had any problems with it.

Has played every disk thrown at it - all regions, VCD, DVD-R/+R etc etc. Has a nice 'windowsesque' menu system when you put in for example a CDR with JPGs on.

I had planned on swapping this for a high end DVD recorder but ended up getting a cheap recorder and keeping this as the main player.

Incidentallly, the choice of amp was because of the quality of this player, I originally bought a Marantz which I was dissapointed with, replaced it with a Teac which was better but not good enough, ended up with the Yamaha (which I though about buying in the first palce) and have been well pleased.

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the info! I have been looking into the S550 (replacement of S540). As it is the replacement, I assume it will be better, if not the same. I may have to just go for it.

I am also very happy with my 640SE, excellent value I think, and well partnered with my Mordaunt Short speakers.

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else? Opionions on Yamaha DVD players??

5. aliasmonkey

aliasmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 540 model. It has been fine, with no problems at all so far. It's maybe not the best looking player, but it does have RGB Progressive Scan capabilities and produces a great picture through my projector and on the telly, even in S-Video mode it's good.

I'd recommend the 540 to anyone - especially as you can probably get it for less than £100 these days. I'm not a 'Yam man' as such, but I have a Yam cinema amp too, which is also very good. I reckon Yamaha make some very good value for money kit.

6. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Yamaha S540 DVD player which is connected to Yamaha amp 740 and Sony TV with a component video cable. No complain till now. I am happy with the sound and picture quality. I have been using this unit for three monthes. But I wonder one thing, does this video player play DVD-audio? any experience.

7. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it does play DVD-A... well I know the S550 doesn't so I doubt the previous model doesn't.

8. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you rate the musical performance of the 540? I have heard this model is much better with CDs than most players around this price. Would you agree? It is supposedly far better than the Pioneer 575 in fact. This comment was from a company I rang today, who sell both machines.

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi There

Thanks for contacting me about the S540. I have had mine a little while but replaced it with Pioneer DVD575S. I was happy with the Yamaha but the display peed me off along with the fact that you cant connect it to a TV and PJ at the same time if you turn on Progressive Scan, where the Pioneer does that if you use the SVHS and component at the same time.
    Apart from that its great, I think the CD playback is good, I would not say that it is better than the Pioneer though! Perhaps the co that sells both are trying to9 clear old stock if there is a new Yamaha model out.

Its definately a good buy if you can get it sub £100, may be inclined to sell mine but we will see.

Hope this has been of some value.

Tone

10. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot tontrainer.

Would you say the Pioneer is as well built as the Yamaha? and how does it compare with picture quality? I used to have a Pioneer DV550 and it broke down on me twice so I steer clear from them now. Although I think I've been unlucky as companies tell me the Pioneers are v.reliable.

I can get the new S550 model for £117 inc. delivery. The D/A converters etc are much improved on the S550 so I would imagine it will be at least on par with the Pioneer. For £117 I don't think I can go far wrong.

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    MS-Yam

Have a go and see what you woulda won, then you can let us all know.

The pioneer does have DVD-A and SACD and although I didnt want it for that this weekend I purchased a couple of disks and its FAB!

I have a few DTS surround music disks however the DVD-A is excellent so I got something as a bit of a bonus.

Let us know how you get on I dont think anyone has a 550 as yet?

Cheers

Tone

12. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do tonetrainer, just waiting to hear from Richer Sounds today, theyre just double checking my Cambridge Audio DVD is faulty, then they can refund me. As soon as that's done (hopefully with no bother) I can get myself an S550!

I'll let ya know!

13. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi MS-Yam,

Did you go for the 550 in the end...?

Would love to hear from you if you you did as I'm seriously considering getting one.

Was originally going to get the Pio 575 but I have a Panasonic TV and as I understand they don't like each other :confused:

Yamaha DVD players usually seem to get good write ups for their CD quality as well as DVD and this is what made me consider them.

Hope to hear your review soon (if you got one :laugh: ).

Matt

14. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

I actually went for the S540 (older model), as I rang Yamaha and they said there wasnt much difference at all between the two.

The picture quality is fantastic for the price, but my previous dvd player was better with sound quality. As I am not really satissfied with the sound, I am actually now awaiting delivery of a different dvd player (even though i've only had the Yamaha about 2 months!). I know... i'm terrible for changing my gear!

Having said that, the sound is far better than the Pioneer model I used to have, and I am sure it will be better then the 575. I've read a lot of bad things about the 575. I had to get rid of my DV550 after less than six months use - in that period I had to send it off for repair... TWICE!

My Yamaha is now up for sale if you're interested??

15. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested. Can't see it in the classifieds.

16. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok Jim, i'll put an ad in there now