1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DVD S540 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fdpxfunix, Dec 10, 2003.

1. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

Got myself one of these S540's from Richer Sounds for a bargain price. Hooked it up to my Toshiba 36zd26p and it blew my Wharfedale 750 out of the water. Colours, sharpness and sound are fantastic.

I bought the S540 for 2 main reasons...

1) the Tosh will accept NTSC Prog Scan via the component input, which the S540 can output

2) the S540 will convert PAL DVDs to NTSC

So, on playing the region 2 disk 'Star Trek Nemesis' via Prog Scan, NTSC output using the component output, into the Tosh component input .... I get a judder. Looks like a frame is missing and makes the movement quite 'jerky'. Same thing happens on 'MIB II', but not so much on 'The Fast and The Furious'.

I borrowed a region 1 'Matrix' from a friend. Now, I take this disc to be NTSC coded, so output Prog Scan, component output, NTSC to the Toshiba should give no judder which is just about right. There’s some slight 'judders' when head movement is very slow, but nothing to worry me about.

The S540 manual states some distortion may occur when converting PAL discs to NTSC. Is that right and has anyone found the same with this player?

Thanks. J.

PS. Watching region 2 discs via PAL, component output, into the Tosh component input is stunning anyway.’ Star Wars The Phantom Menace’ and ‘Toy Story II’ are blinding!

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    I know nothing of the technicalities of this but it ultimately stems from there being two difference frame speeds in PAL & NTSC, the difference being perceptible as a juddering. PAL to NTSC seems to be worse than vice versa in my experience.
    Glad to here the 540 is pretty good- just bought my brother one :)

3. pugwashgreg

pugwashgreg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would agree re conversion, mine set to auto and never a judder,
    tried on conversion and very slight judder if change from r1 to r2 dvd but only at start and very slight but then settles down.