1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DVD purchasing advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by elsanto, Mar 4, 2003.

1. elsanto

elsanto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    allright im trying to build up a decent system..

yamaha 2200 reciever
    paradigm micro surrounds
    older boston bookshelf fronts
    yamaha cheapy (from all in one home theatre) center.

Now i need a dvd player.. im looking at 2 yamaha's

the dvd s1200 and the dvdDV-C6480
    now my confusion comes into play on the MSRP on these.
    from what i can tell the DV-c6480 is much better equipped, with dcdi, mp3 capabilites, and burrbrown D/A... but the msrp on this is several hundred less than the dvds1200 wich lacks all 3 of those features.. does anyone know what would make the 1200 a better unit? the c6480 is a changer, wich doesnt really appeal to me, but for the features ill deal with the changer..

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.. here are 2 links to the specs i can find, both units are older and not currently on the yamaha website

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&category=3316

http://www.epinions.com/ 615742_Yam...tal_DTS_Decoder

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Neither link works. The 6480 seems to be a US model, most likely it won't play PAL nor have SCART/RGB output.

Also note:

"Q Is there a difference between the Yamaha DVD C920 and the Yamaha DVD 6480? Both list same apparent specs. Pricing, marketing channels are different but is there a performance difference?

A For products with similar specs, similar price, but different markets (different countries), they might very well be the same product with different model numbers. If they differ in price, they might be the same product, but one is made for the bulk market in places like CostCo. If they have similar specs but one is much higher in price, it may be the internal parts quality that is different, but the spec sheet does not change."

From: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/qa/qa2002/qa323.html

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. elsanto

elsanto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner,
    thanks for the legwork, I had read those reviews on amazon, seems impressive, but wanted another opinion. I believe im going to go ahead and order the DV-C6480 the burr brown, and the dcdi alone make it more valuable to me.

sorry those links dont work. for some reason i think my mac does something different with the cgi or asp code.. my girlfreind cant read any urls i send her, forgot about that issue..