Yamaha DVD players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyrap, Jan 29, 2003.

1. andyrap

andyrap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know what the current crop of Yammy DVD players are like? I used to have a DVD-S700 which was good in it's time and now am considering the S530 - not least because it will match the titanium 630 amp I've just got.

Has anyone compared this against the Toshiba 220 for example which seems to be highly recommended? I'd like to demo the two really but the Yam will definitely score points with the wife due to it 'matching'.

Any thoughts/opinions welcomed.

2. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I recently purchased the 530 to 'match' my 630 in Titanium (surprisingly, I had to justify this to my wife resorting to the BFBS-method!).

I can only compare to my Panny RV20 which it replaced, and I would say that it is at least no-worse and the Panny was a great performer.

It is actually based on an award-winning Marantz model according the chaps at the shop where I purchased it from (I've looked at the Marantz range a guess it is a 4200 or 6200). All the GUI menus are exactly the same apparently.

I'm glad they told me this because when you program your Yammy 630 remote to do the basic DVD functions, you have to put in the code for Marantz DVD players (the Yammy listed in the manual does not work).

In short, Video playback is fine and audio/music playback is excellent. The above combo (with amber displays) looks cool too.

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    certainly older yammys used phillips guts, but I thought they had had a crack at making their own from scratch:confused: