Yamaha DVD players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mozzarella, Mar 21, 2006.

1. mozzarella

mozzarella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to by a Yamaha amplifier and I'd like to get together a DVD player ofv the same brand.

What do you think about the following machines and their relevant prices:

- Yamaha DVD S657: 199 €
    - Yamaha DVD S1500: 389 €
    - Yamaha DVD DRX 2 MKII 435 € (Recorder)

I have not experience with Yamaha's players at all. What the quality of these machines.

2. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've had a S657 for about 6 months now and its been a great player for the price - good build quality, easy to make multi-region, great picture through RGB scart (never tried through component as I have a CRT) and SACD/DVDA performance was ridiculously good for the price. I bought one to replace a broken Pioneer 565 and I felt it was more than a match for that popular model.

You might say that I would recommend it, since I actually have mine up for sale now if you're interested (£70 and its all yours!). But regardless it is a great all round player.

3. mozzarella

mozzarella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it work with both DVD+R and DVD-R?

Regards

4. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yep - no problems whatsoever all the time I had it. I've never found a use for RW media so never had a chance to try that, but according to other online sources it's fine with them too.

5. neilwilkes

neilwilkes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought one of the 1500 units from AV land in wellingborough - and the saga was amusing to put it mildly.
    I had serious trouble with this player - when playing episodic DVD-V, it freezes, glitches, sticks completely to the point where I had to power it down to get the disc out. And this is with proper, pressed discs. Stargate, Star Trek, that sort of item.
    Also, when playing back soome stereo LPCM DVD-V, It seemed to automatically go into Pro Logic mode. Highly annoying.
    It happened with movies as well, so I called AV land who made me return it to them - at my expense - where it sat in their warehouse.
    The point of all this is that eventually, they told me that the player was not designed to play Sci-Fi type discs, and I needed a special player for this

Avoid the S1500 at all costs.

6. mozzarella

mozzarella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank a lot for your comments. I'll avoid it.

7. sanxion

sanxion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a DVD-S657 and I'm very happy with it. the deck is connected to the TV through a S-Video cable and the picture is ver sharp, brilliant and detailed. Sound (CD, SACD) is very good too.

What I've seen is that analog signal is a bit lower (for the same receiver's volume) than the digital one when connecting the player through the analog multichanel output?

Has anybody notice this?

Regards sanxion

8. a124795

a124795

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm interested in Yamaha DVD-S657. I would like to know, please, if the function CD-Text is useful. Is it possible to navigate a MP3 CD structured with more folders\songs using the display (without connect to TV)? DVIX files are played correctly?

Thank you
    Antonio