Yamaha DTXplorer Drumkit

Have you actually played one of these kits? The only reason I say is that the all rubber pads aren't to everyones taste. The mesh heads on the roland kits are certainly more realistic than the rubber pads but you'll end up paying a bit more for them.

I play drums and went to play a Roland TD12 last year when I was thinking of getting an e-kit and if I'm honest I was really disappointed. For £2k it didn't feel particularly nice and the cymbals were a big let down. There's nothing drastically wrong with e-kits these days, but make sure you play one BEFORE you buy.

Depending on how adventurous you're feeling, it's possible to convert an acoustic kit to mesh heads + triggers for about the same money and you have an acoustic kit for the future if you need it. I bought a TD3 (£150 from Sound Control), the raw materials(Piezo triggers, Roland Cones, mesh heads, etc) and have two drums that trigger exactly the same as the Roland mesh pads.

The next step is to buy a cheap second hand kit (Pearl Export, Mapex Voyager etc) and do a complete conversion. PM me if you'd like some more information.

I used to play years ago and now want to get back into it ... only trouble is I'll have to put it in my garage so cant go for a normal one due to the noise .. I'm hoping to get to play one at a local music store this week ...

cheers for your feedback tho ..

Nige

Well if you used to play years ago, I'd definitely recommend having a go on an e-kit before purchase. They're fantastic for people who don't have the luxury of playing an acoustic kit at home, but for me they're just not as much fun. :D

I'm building an e-kit for recording/practicing late in the evenings, but I wouldn't be without my acoustic kit for anything.

So I ended up getting the DTXplorer after playing it in the shop - god I forgot how much I missed drumming - althought my fingers arnt thanking me this morning.

Some of the basic stuff has just come flodding back and I've had so much fun over the past 24 hours just geting back into it - its been a really nice release (loads of other crap going on in my life atm)

I also came across the online drummer on youtube - pretty good resource and I was wondering does anyone else have any pointers to useful guides for someone wanting to get back into the drummers seat.

Nige

PS: I'll be doing some videos in the not too distant future, kinda like a video diary of my progress...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom