Yamaha DSPZ7 - maybe downsizing speakers but not sound

daformah

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I currently have a Yamaha DSP-Z7 (quite a beast!!)

I have a set on Linn Komponent 5.1 (but the 0.1 is a BK Sub)

Im probably moving to a rented house and my living rooms will not have the space for the Linn's

What would you recommend thats small but still sounds big?

Budget not really important (within reason)

Thanks guys

Chris

The monitor audio apex get rave reviews from everyone who has heard them.

I haven't tried the Apex as its out my budget.
I'm happy with the Radius, I have front left and right 180 and a 225 centre. Have just purchased 2 Miller & Kreisel K4 tripoles for the surrounds and they are outstanding.

I only use my system for TV & movies, no music so my speakers are ok but home cinema gets a hold of you and you keep looking to upgrade. I would fancy getting some second hand M&K for the fronts, as they're second to non for movies but not great for music. It all depends what you listen to but everyone would tell you to get a short list then go for a demo, as what sounds good to me might not be for you.

You have a good amp but there is newer out there so depends what you can budget, get speakers then upgrade your amp or if youre a bit flush upgrade them all. :)

You could then give me a good price on your Z7

Bringing this thread back from the dead ;)

Looking again. Budget important this time... Second baby due immanently and need to reduce the footprint in my room.

I will be looking to sell/trade the Linn's. I'm keeping the BK sub, so only need the 5.0

Probably be able to spend ÂŁ400 above whatever I get for the Linns. No idea how to price them. They retailed at 2.5k for the 5.1 system 5-7 years ago. Not that this means anything, but certainly a indicator the the quality (which is very good IMO)

Probably start a for trade / sale thread for the Linn 5.1 system.

The Paradigm MilleniaOne still look interesting if I can raise the cash for the cross grade ;)

Anything else out recently that's worth looking at?

Cheers

The Paradigm MillenniaOne have had a very good review here, but the MA Apex series have good feedback too.

It depends on what size you can accommodate / buy: using three MA Apex A40's as your fronts will probably yield better results than a MillenniaOne system, but will end up taking more space.

Probably out of the price range. I would hope to get ~ÂŁ750 for the linn setup realistically.

I could certainly stretch to the Paradigm, but would save for the Apex which would cost ~ÂŁ1500 for one A40 and 4 A10.

So I think we are all saying that the Paradigm are good, but the Apex are the dogs and these are the ones I should go for...

So I think we are all saying that the Paradigm are good, but the Apex are the dogs and these are the ones I should go for...

Pretty much, yes. However, the MillenniaOne are no shrinking violet so you probably wouldn't really be losing that much by going with them. The only thing I'll say (as obvious as it may be) is that going from the Komponent to a sub/sat system is very likely to sound quite different; not necessarily bad-different, just different.

Have you heard either? I need to arrange a demo.

Hopefully find someone to trade with.

Just out of curiousity, are these your speakers in the Photo -

Linn Komponent Speaker System, Chakra C5100 Amplifier, and Unidisk SC Universal Disc Player | Home Theater

This is the MA Apex system at its normal price -

5.1 Speaker Systems Monitor Audio APEX 5.1 | hifix.co.uk

The small cabinet size limits the bass of the front speakers but they do have 140mm bass drivers with a rated low end of 60hz. Plus they are highly rated.

Next, to your existing Linn speaker, the resale price on used speakers is about 50% adjusted for condition and desirability. That plus the ÂŁ400 you said you can kick in takes your working budget to ÂŁ1400 to ÂŁ1800. As you can see from the link, the APEX are ÂŁ2700/set.

The Monitor Audio Radius HD are nice in that they are meant to be hung on the wall out of the way of grabby little hands. A sample 5.0 system would break down like this.

ÂŁ275/ea = Monitor Audio Radius R250HD (2x = ÂŁ550)
ÂŁ250/ea = Monitor Audio Radius R225HS (3x = ÂŁ750)
-------------------
ÂŁ1300 = Total for 5.0

The R250HD has response down to 50hz which is typical of bookshelf speakers.

Bookshelf Speakers Monitor Audio R250HD | hifix.co.uk

Satellite Lcr And Tv Speakers Monitor Audio R225HD | hifix.co.uk

Radius HD | Products | Monitor Audio

There are several manufacturers who make panel displays, though I have no feedback on how good they are -

Superfi - KEF T205 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM

Satellite Lcr And Tv Speakers Monitor Audio SHADOW S50 | hifix.co.uk

Shadow | Products | Monitor Audio

Satellite Lcr And Tv Speakers Bowers And Wilkins FPM5 | hifix.co.uk

Satellite Lcr And Tv Speakers Bowers And Wilkins FPM6 | hifix.co.uk

There are also floorstands for the B&W speakers, should that option appeal to you -

Speaker Stands Bowers And Wilkins FSFPM6 | hifix.co.uk

Speaker Stands Bowers And Wilkins TSFPM | hifix.co.uk

But if you are looking for speaker that occupy minimal space and are away from curious hands, the wall mount like these might be a good option.

I think you are going to find the drop from higher end floorstanding to Satellite speakers ... just that .. a DROP.

Still, we must do what we must do; life goes on.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thanks or your reply!

Yes, they are my speakers that I have (the Linns)

How do the Radius compare to the Apex? They look a nice size actually...

I also jut seen the shadow ones. They look interesting!

Thanks or your reply!

Yes, they are my speakers that I have (the Linns)

How do the Radius compare to the Apex? They look a nice size actually...

I also jut seen the shadow ones. They look interesting!

I'd place Radius between Bronze and Silver in Monitor Audio's range and Apex between Silver and Gold. Shadow is designed to give you a similar performance to Apex in a flatter cabinet.

Well, the Linns have gone. I now have a very empty looking room :(

Picture attached. I have also put on where i expect the new speakers to go (95% be the Apex)

Just need to be sure i'm making the most of my ÂŁ1500 investment in speakers.

Are these high/low enough for the L & R? Should i look to get the left as near to the wall as possible to increase the sound stage or do i risk bringing in an effect with it being so close to the exterior wall?

Attachments

• LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 73
You do seem to have quite a bit of distance from the TV to your seating, so keeping them further apart might help to some extent. Try to keep the front 3 as close to the same horizontal level as you can - if you can keep the centre on a wall mount and not on the AV unit, even better (it will bounce / interact less with it). In theory, you should keep the tweeters at ear level; have a play around with them and figure out how much of a difference all this actually makes to you.

Theory is ear level - practice tends to be what looks right when it comes to style speakers.

You could tilt the A10's slightly down towards the listening position so they don't need to be the same level as the centre

You do seem to have quite a bit of distance from the TV to your seating, so keeping them further apart might help to some extent. Try to keep the front 3 as close to the same horizontal level as you can - if you can keep the centre on a wall mount and not on the AV unit, even better (it will bounce / interact less with it). In theory, you should keep the tweeters at ear level; have a play around with them and figure out how much of a difference all this actually makes to you.

Yes, i'm about 12-14 ft from the TV.

I plan to get rid of that unit and have a corner hifi rack holding all the gear, so all speakers will be wall mounted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom