1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSPE800E connection tips wanted

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Maki, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I own a Yamaha DSPE800 E which is connected to a Nad C340 Intergrated amp. I have it connected so that the Yamaha is the main control of the volume, as recommended in the manual. However, on reading posts, it seems this may not be giving me the best sound for 2 channel music, as the volume control digitises the sound.
    I do not really want to be using two volume controls, one for music and the other for films, but if my 2 channel improves could this be the answer? Please, :lease: has anyone any best set up tips for me.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try it out: Connect your CDP to the Nad and off you go; the Yamaha can be left switched off then.
    If you dont have dedicated CDP connect the analog outputs of the DVD player to the Nad and the digital out to the Yamaha.

When you watch a movie preset the Nad to the correct volume level, select the input where the E800 is connected to (AUX or whatever) and control the rest from the Yamaha.

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have mine set up exactly as Reiner suggests. For 2-channel music I just connect the CD player/tuner/turntable to the NAD preamp, the DSP is off.

For multi-channel audio (SACD, DVD-A) films and TV, I have the DSP linked into a tape input on the NAD. I've set the levels up on the DSP with the NAD volume control al 12 o'clock. I also connect the tape out if the NAD to the tape in of the DSP so that I can use the DSP programs on CD playback for parties etc,

So when using the DSP, I select the tape input on the NAD, set the NAD volume to 12 o'clock and then the DSP volume control is the only thing I have to touch.

4. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145

That is exactly the correct way to do it.

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I know!

But kind of you to say so :D

6. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for your replys, I will give it a try over the weekend. Another thought I had, would it be a good idea to have my Nad for CD's and buy a Yamaha 750 for A/V? I think I may not notice that much difference though. The 750 does have a little more power on tap, that's the only advantage I can see, correct me if I am wrong.

7. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Tried this today, and yes the sound was better. However, how do I know if setting the volume control on the NAD to 12 o'clock is correct, not to sure if it was a little low.
    When that control is set am I correct in thinking I can turn the Yamaha's volume up or down to suit what I want, and it will alter the overall volume, not just the three surrounds.
    It all may sound a bit thick, but I want it right, and you guys seem to know what you are talking about.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Set it to 12 o'clock. Now you have to level all the channels against each other using the Yamaha's test tones and a SPL meter. Alternatively you could use a test DVD with such tones, but using your ears instead of a SPL meter is not recommended in this case. ;)

If you can't adjust the levels correctly using the Yamaha only change the volume setting at the NAD (naturally it only affects the front channels) and remember or mark that new position. Use that position whenever you want to watch a movie.

Yep, once you have preset the NAD as described above you can use the Yamaha to alter the sound of all 5 channels, no need to touch the NAD's volume knob.

Just remember that you may need to lower the volume at the NAD before you switch to CD though.

No worries, we are a patient bunch and most of us have been there before. :)

9. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yep right with you, thanks, I am going to buy A SPL meter, I could borrow one from work but I don't think they would be too pleased!
    As I said it does sound so much better through the NAD, it makes me think how good my Rotel 965 BX still is.

10. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Anyone have any thoughts on this one since I am puzzling on the same issue.

Do I go for the DSPE800, or spend £100 or so more on something like a Marantz SR5400, or newer Yamaha (like the AX750SE, or 640?). I guess these would give me some newer Dolby options and be 6.1 / 7.1?

Is there anything really to be gained? If so, will I notice the benefit of these amps with my Toshiba SD220?

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mostly new features are to be gained. But if you want to spend more money on those is something you have to decide yourself. :)

12. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Reiner - do I assume from your reply that the DSPE800 is the equal of newer machines, like the Marantz, in the things they do the same, and just lacks some of the newer features?

TBH the change from stereo to 5.1 DTS (or whatever) will probably be such a shock to me that I don't think I'd get the full benefit of Pro Logic II and 6.1 or 7.1, so unless the newer boxes do the basic things noticeably better, I might as well stick with the DSPE800.

How would you call it?