Yamaha DSPAX763 Video dropout via HDMI

McKinley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with intermittent video dropouts on my system, which I believe is being caused by my Yamaha DSPAX763.

I presently have a Panasonic BD35 blu-ray player and an Xbox360 connected to the 2 HDMI inputs of the AX763. Both are set to output 1080p.

The HDMI output of the AX763 is connected to a Samsung LCD.

The video dropouts are random, and only occur when 'true' high definition content is being input to the AX763 (e.g. Blu-ray or Xbox360). Standard definition DVD upscaled by the Panasonic BD35 does not exhibit the problem. I've watched hours of upscaled DVD with no issues.
During the dropouts the audio is unaffected.

The dropouts take the form of a jumping, distorted picture, which after a few seconds results in the Samsung TV displaying "No Signal" or "Mode not Supported". Sometimes it happens frequently (every minute or so), at other times the signal is perfect for hours. Sometimes it's as soon as I switch the system on, at other times only after an hour or more.

Sometimes the picture will re-appear after a few seconds. Other times I have to change the Amp or TV input or power-cycle the AX763 to get it back.

As the issue occurs with both the Xbox360 and the BD35, the issue must lie with either the AX763, TV, or HDMI cable that connects the two. I have tried connecting the BD35 directly to the TV using this HDMI cable, and the problem has not occurred (in the relatively limited time I've been able to run it like this). This suggests that the issue is with the AX763.

I intend to call Yamaha support to see if they can assist, but I wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem, or could suggest anything else I can/should test?

I have noticed that when switching between HDMI inputs on the AX763 the HDMI and PCM indicators flash on and off for a few seconds before it locks on and the image appears - is this normal for an AX763?

Thanks or the information. I'll have to heft my other TV downstairs to try it out, but it seems odd that direct connection to the TV might present no problem, yet connecting via the amp caused you the same issue, and it turned out to be the TV at fault.

I've been trying it again tonight.
Xbox or BD35 directly connected to the TV: no problem using either HDMI cable.
Connect either to the amp with either HDMI cable, and the problem returns.

I can't see that this is a TV fault...

Thankfully a good friend who lives opposite had the same TV as me a sony 40V3000, but his was 6 months newer and had a different firmware level loaded. swap over to his fixed it 100%, also tried my T260HD samsung 26" Tv and that worked fine also.. hope you get it sorted. are your leads 1.3 compliant too?

Thankfully a good friend who lives opposite had the same TV as me a sony 40V3000, but his was 6 months newer and had a different firmware level loaded. swap over to his fixed it 100%, also tried my T260HD samsung 26" Tv and that worked fine also.. hope you get it sorted. are your leads 1.3 compliant too?

Unless the HDMI leads are an exceptional length I would discount the certification of compliance, my belief is that an HDMI lead is usually just that regardless of cost, it either works or it doesn't.

Yeah, the leads are 1.3 compliant. I'm going to call both Yamaha and Samsung in the morning, although I expect each will blame the others equipment...

any update from samsung / Yamaha? Despite a new TV fixing my issue, in the back of my mind it does seem to be the intro of the new amp and BD35 in both our cases that created similar faults.

Is theres an underlying issue with the 763 hdmi protocol? maybe a firmware upgrade is req'd?

Yahama were very unhelpful. They suggested I contact Richer Sounds from where I purchased the amp, and ask them to lend me 3 QED HDMI leads to ensure it's not my leads! This is despite the fact that with any lead, the TV and BD35 talk to each other happily, and only when the amp is introduced do any problems arise.

Samsung are happy to send an engineer out to test and replace anything found defective.

I'm getting some new leads just to make sure (however I doubt it'll improve things), so that I can (if necessary) get Yamaha to actually offer some assistance.

New leads did not do it for me,

Do you have another HDMI tv you can try, this will allow you to demonstrate to the samsung engineer that it is not the amp, or prove it is the amp before you call them out

good luck

As suspected two new Mark Grant leads made no difference to the problem, so it's definitely the TV or the Amp that's the cause.

Did you try another tv yet?

No, I can't TBH as my old TV doesn't do 1080p or 24fps which is what it occurs on...

Just out of interest, did you ever resolve this problem with the Yamaha DSP AX763?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom