1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSPAX750 - Lip Synch and OSD ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by db298, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most of the time I find the lip-sync performance of my setup absolutely fine (Thomson TiVO, Panasonic TX32-PK3 (50hz flicker-o-vision CRT), Panasonic TUCT30 STB, and Yamaha 750. However, watching LOST recorded on Ch4, the lipsynch is so bad I'm almost thinking of giving up.

I know the amp allows you to delay the audio to fix lip sync problems, and I know others have recommended hardware solutions such as the Felston in the past. However, I have two problems with this:

a) The delay feature on the amp is only really usable when you pass the video through the amp, so you can use the on-screen menus. I use SCART OUT Tivo to SCART IN TV, so I can't figure an easy way to do this.

b) The problem is an audio DELAY. Everything I see of other peoples problems seem to suggest that they have their issue with the sound leading the image. My problem is the opposite - the image leads the sound by about 0.25-0.5 seconds - ie. you see someone scream, and then later hear them. If the amp or the hardware solutions only allow me to DELAY the sound feed, then this can't fix the problem ?! Can they delay the image instead ?

Is there a way I can get the OSD to play with this ? Could I for example take the composite or s-video output from the amp and view it on a different output of the TV to fiddle with the delay settings (messy, but a short term solution until I change the TV) ?

All advice / comments welcome !

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    This is where id' start, or even if your source has a secondary output, plug it into the amp (even if it's just composite) and try and get everything right.

3. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to add, I have found these threads, but neither seem to come to a real conclusion beyond "get a plasma screen to balance the delays"... I MIGHT get an LCD soon, but not for that reason :rolleyes:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215691&highlight=audio+delay

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190623&highlight=audio+delay

Things I've thought of trying:

a) fiddling with OSD and sound delay (might the default be slightly delayed, which I could remove ?

b) take audio directly from Tivo into the amp (although this would involve splitting the video and audio elements in the SCART somewhere.

Any other suggestions ?