1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSPAX640SE Owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Greyhound, Oct 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently read HCC review of this amp and it rated it last out of the 5 amps tested giving it only 3.5 stars. It mentions that when 5 channels are being driven only 39W comes out of each channel which can make it struggle a bit. Other reviews from other mags have been a bit kinder and rated it higher.

My question is, in the real world, what do you think of this amp and is the power outage (volume level) more than plenty and sound quality good? Someone mentioned in another thread that you have to turn it up half way to get a decent volume out of it - is this a problem as with most of my audio equipment, half way is miles more than enough.

Do you have any regrets buying this amp and wished you bought another?

Cheersfor any feedback

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hmmmm, actual figures versus volume output. The Yam went plenty loud when I heard it recently and didn't seem to be struggling to drive a full set of Kef Q1's at all! Yamaha do have less sensitive volume controls and need to be turned further than most to get them singing more loudly, but I haven't heard them being "too weak".

I don't read HCC for the specific reason that I am not interested in lab results - I only wanna know how it sounds. Even Yamaha can't massage their specs to say a 39w RMS receiver will output 90W. Can they?

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    cant answer your question exactly as I use the 640SE for centres and rears only, this is my 3rd Yamaha amp in last 10 years and I have never had a problem with any of them going "loud enough"

as stated the dial does go a fair bit round before a decent listening level is achieved, but I have never needed to max it out in the past

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I intend to buy one next week for the same purpose. The front stereos will go through my amp, which I hope will take the pressure off the Yamaha.

The 640SE is quite attractive because you're not paying extra for the radio. Also, Richer Sounds are doing it for £299.99 at the mo.

I'd be very interested in some more feedback Radioactive__Man. Cheers.

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I used to use an AX1 for all speakers [6.1], got fed up with the poor 2 channel CD sound of the AX1, so sold it and set up my Cyrus equiptment again [was gonna set it up in another room]

quite simply using the 640SE with a good 2 channel HiFi setup is very very good, needless to say I will not be buying all Cyrus equiptment now for DD/DTS, for the money the Yamaha does everything I want it too and more, DPLII/DTS:NEO on Cable is pretty neat as well

tons of reserve on volume/oomph setup this way, not even running a subwoofer ATM as I have a pair of Mission 783's as my main stereo sperakers

personally I got my amp for under £280 plus £7 delivery, brand new UK stock

also I plan to use the component video switching with the Yamaha amp when I get round to reconnecting my Xbox to my 46" RPTV, currently my Cyrus DVD8 uses these inputs on my telly

absolutely no regrets on buying the Yamaha, nearly bought a DSP-E800 which would have been a big mistake as technology has really moved on since the heydays of the E800. As displayed by the 640SE.

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks!

How were you going to connect your X-box. After discussions on this forum, it seems that the HiDef pack which connects your X-box via component is unavailable outside of the US (and is not compatible with our sets). I think I'm gonna have to use the advanced scart, which is RGB, and run it through my Sky+ box (however I have yet to ascertain whether the second scart socket on the Sky+ box is RGB). Does the AX640SE accept an RGB scart signal by any chance?

7. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radioactive_Man,
    Where?
    Cheers,
    Jim

8. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about buying this amp over a £150 sony one, big upgrade for me I hope. Its also worth nothing that this amp has won several awards, most prominently the What Hi-Fi award (5 star) for an amp up to £500. I dont know why HCC has only rated it 3.5 stars, but i'd personally rather listen to What Hi-Fi on this one.

9. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just ask where the link for this amp is? I have searched high and low for it on HCC. The closest match is the YAMAHA AX630SE which was awarded 4.5 stars out of a group test. If they have indeed rated it 3.5 stars that seems very harsh and unrealistic as the 640SE is an upgrade to the 630SE, which, as stated in my above post has been rated 5 stars in most magazines, most importantly it won the 5 star best buy at What Hi-Fi, the amp (640SE) is also being sold at Creative Audio (a company that prizes itself on only supplying quality, mostly award winning hardware).

10. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

bwstsw - The review is in December's edition of the Mag and it compares 5 amps, the Yam being one of them. There's no link so you need to go to a newsagent to have a look. I also noticed What HiFi's rating which appears to contradict HCC's rating. I just wanted to know from owners if they considered it a good amp once they got it up and running.

11. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if this will help you, but I contacted Creative Audio, I enquired about the Yammy, and they tell me its an amazing amp, for certain one of the best under £500, if not the best. I have heard allot of people say good things about the yammy amps though, they are less mechanical sounding like many amps out there, they are more natural and life-like. Musically and theatrically of course.

12. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info bwstsw. I get the impression that I won't be disappointed if I go for the Yammy (sound quality wise) and the volume when power is pumped to all channels doesn't seem to be an issue (HCC rated it at 39W p/c) so I'll probably go for it ... and hope that it is worth upgrading to :)

13. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I definately sold on it now. Am gonna pick it up next week. Will post my findings.