1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSPAX-750

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve 111, Jul 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Trying to get hold of one of these.

QED were advertising at £363 but now can't get hold of any from Yamaha. Anyone know of any in stock at that sort of price?

Likely to be very popular following this months review in What Hi-Fi!

2. nacho

nacho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah seems like a good buy, but i think even the dealers are having a hard time getting them

3. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    From what I can see, the RX V650 is pretty much the same unit, but with a receiver and 95 watt output rather than 100 watt. Have you considered one of those instead?

4. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the 650 have the lip-sync feature?

5. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  6. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    750 does video up conversion to component video & has turntable input that is missing from 650.

7. Silverfox

Silverfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to get my hands on a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE last week, must say that it absolutely blew me away, having previously had an RX-V620RDS. The YPAO mic makes things much easier to setup although I did change some of the settings slightly afterwards. :smashin:

Quickly caught a glimpse of the new What Hifi? August issue, in Smiths yesterday and saw a review of the DSP-AX750SE, safe to say they were pretty impressed. :thumbsup:

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any link to this Review on the internet,& if no,plz can anyone who read it tell us when they test it's real power how much watt's they get for every channel in 5 or 6 channel modes???

9. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Can't really help on the issue of power, except to say that intial impressions of the Yammy suggest that it does not lack power when driven in 5.1 mode.

I've very recently upgraded my Marantz SR5400 to the Yammy 750SE. I was really happy with the Marantz amp (having had it for over six months) and its excellent hi-fi sound, but it developed a problem - after a few hours the centre channel (and only the centre channel) would suddenly go quieter than the other channels. Only way to restore this was to power off the unit and remove it from the power supply for a few hours. Weird! Now, I could have had the unit repaired, but this is the third Marantz amp to display problems of one sort or another (two earlier incarnations - 5200, 5300) and I had just about had it. Wish my experience had been better, as I really did love the Marantz house sound.

So, thanks to nice people at Richer Sounds, I was able to upgrade to the 750SE. I really have not had a chance to play with it, but already I notice that the sound is smooth but powerful, and actually unearths some detail that the Marantz missed. I have tried it in stereo mode (Pure Direct), and found it to be a big improvement on past Yammies (I had auditioned a 640RDS in home before I bought the Marantz 5400). Still getting used to the control system and have yet to sit back and watch a 'big' movie through the unit, but I am impressed so far.

I must add that I am currently using MS20i Pearl Edition front speakers, MSC20 centre and MS10i Pearl Edition speakers in my set-up (no subwoofer) as my FS1AV set from Mission is off for repair. The Mordant Shorts are full range hi-fi speakers, and, while not difficult to drive, are all bi-wired into the Yammy. It does not seem to be struggling at all.

Hope this helps

10. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No there is no link to this review yet. I have read the review and I'm afraid that they don't mention any real power rating just Yamaha's spec.

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have had mine for a few months now.

I had an A5 before this, and in my opinion its excellent.

I have every speaker setup as well, so in enhanced mode sound fields the front effect speakers come on and in 6.1/matrix my back dipoles kick in.

The YPAO was out quite a bit but certainly made the setup easier I purchased a SPM and fine tuned it and for the £371 delivered from unbeatable it's great.
    I also like the upconversion from S to component, very useful.

Even my girlfriend thought it sounded a lot better! She doesnt take much notice of these things!

Have to await the proper HCC test before we find out what it's really throwing out but I think in 7 channel mode it easily fills our 17x12 ft lounge.

Cheers

Tone

12. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've just this week swapped from a HK 507 to one of these, pocketing an extra £60 in the process. I think the dialogue was slightly (and I do mean slightly) better on the HK. Haven't really pushed it yet, but it seems to be driving my Tannoy Eyrises very nicely. And my remote learnt all the codes first time (which was the reason for ridding myself of the Harman Kardon). I'm certainly happy enough with it. It probably looks better than the HK, too, but this is my first Yamaha in ages that doesn't have a huge chunky drop down front panel. But is that worth the extra £300?

13. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Glad to hear you like it jasper_mccrea :thumbsup: