1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSPA595, does it still compare with newer models

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Radioactive__Man, Jan 19, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am about to upgrade my TV and DVD player, and I am wondering if I should also consider replacing my old [only got it last year !] Yamaha amp from one of the new current models from Sony Yamaha etc.

My main system is a monoblocked Cyrus affair with DAD Q24 + PSX-R, AcA7 pre amp and Mission 783 floorstanders. To this "platform" I have added the following :-

Paradigm PS1000 sub
    Mission 771 rears
    Mission 77c centre
    Yamaha DSPA595
    Pana 36" 100Hz [upgrading to Tosh 46" RPTV]
    Toshiba SD200E DVD

My funds are by no means abundant, but if it is prudent to change my DD/DTS amp, now would be the time, as I do not intend to upgrade again for a few years.

thanks in advance to all "useful" repondents

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radioactive_Man,

An upgrade to a higher pecced Yamaha would provide you with a nice audio environment with that Speaker setup. I was in a similar position a year ago upgrading from a DSPA592 to the Yamaha A2.

Saying that you don't indicate why you feel the need to upgrade? Are you noticing something lacking in the audio?

If I may suggest the A2 would make an excellent upgrade, and given that the AX2 is now out you'd probably be able to get one very reasonably priced.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My reasons for considering the upgrade are 3 fold.

1] The Yamaha is driving my Sub, rears and centre, leaving my connection to the main fronts by menas of a phono cable, this requires me to switch on the Cyrus system to use them [i.e £5k setup for 2 channels versus £1k setup for Sub, rears and Centre].
    I would be happier to use just one amp to drive them all, but feel a sub £300 all in one amp wont be enough to control the main speakers.

2] Like all things Hi-Fi, for years technology moves on at a steady pace with new bells & whistles amps etc trying to seduce you into buying them, occasionally a product will come along which sets new benchmarks and is genuinely better than it's predecessor, hence my original question.

3] To "do it" Cyrus Stylee it is gonna cost £1k for an AV5 plus about £500 for a couple of XPA amps, whereas a capaple one box solution would allow me to move my current Cyrus system to another room, which will leave me trying to find a suitable pair of main speakers for my AV setup [but that's another topic]

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I see what you're getting at now. A decent Amp of the Yamaha A2 level arounf £500-£600 would give you a decent improvement and do the things you're discussing plus more.

------------------
    Webmaster,

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    "A decent Amp of the Yamaha A2 level arounf £500-£600"

Cheapest I can find this amp is £720 + Vat from Techtronics, are you aware of another cheaper supplier?, as I am now quite keen on it [preferably silver finish] and how good is the remote on the A2?, looks like it supports learning & macros

6. pop

pop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I bought mine from SDB as above. Had good service too.

------------------
    Webmaster,

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hm, if two channel (stereo) is an important factor than I would not replace the existing Cyrus system with an AV amp/receiver, unless you are willing to spend above 1.5k or so.
    And perhaps then you still cannot compete ...

Though if you stick to moving it to another room and just use the AV a/r for AV only, then something in the class of an A2 should be a good choice.
    If you also want to add Ex/Es the AX2 or Denon's AVR-3801 would be a good choice.

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

9. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is anyone able to comment on the sonic abilities of the Yamaha A2 versus the Denon as mentioned above ?, I've never listened to Denon before, and would like as many comments before arranging a demo at my nearest supplier.

EX is tempting, but does the Denon have all the necessary amps required within ?,or are they trying to cram in features at the expense of quality components ?

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you want a quality receiver that is also very good with stereo then it has to be the Arcam AVR100. Feature wise it is very bare but for sound it cannot be beaten by anything under £1000.