1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSPA2 advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jason_B, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm new to this section of the forums, so please forgive me if you've answered this type of question before (used search, but could find any help)

I was all set on buying a projector this month, and have been doing the demop rounds. During one demo, I was blown away by the sound, or more specifically the bass. You didn't just hear it, but you felt it - very low down - It was great :) That got me thinking about my setup, as I remember mine sounding like that when I demoed before buying, but it doesn't anymore, and I had realised unitl hearing this new demo. I asked th guy in the shop who thought I probably had it set up wrong, but didn't offer any further advice (I would have gladly paid a fair price for it)

So...here is my current hardware setup, and amp settings
    Amp = Yamaha DSPA2,
    DVD = Pioneer 717
    Front speakers = Kef Q35's
    Centre = Kef Q95c
    Rears = Kef Q15's
    Sub = M&K VX100

Settings on amp
    1.Speaker Set - All set to Small, LFE/BASS OUT set to SW, System Set = 5ch, Main Level = Normal

2. DLBY DGTL Set, LFE Level 0db(cannot increase this), D-Range = Max

3. DTS Set,LFE +8db

4. Centre delay = 0ms

5. Parameter ini = *12 (not sure what this is or how to alter it)

6. Memory Guard = Off

7. TV/DBS Input = Auto

Am I doing something wrong with the settings?

I have tried moving the sub, and playing with the settings(on the sub), but cannot achieve that deep down bass. Is the A2 man enough?

Am I being too picky about this?, I'd be interested to hear from other members of the forum to see if I am really missing out on the Big Bass experince :confused:

I want to sort my sound out before plumping for a projector, even if this means new Amp/Speakers etc, but would like to explore set up first.

My second problem with the A2 is a poor centre channel (might be speaker of course)

I would be really greatful for any advice at all.

The beers will be on me :D

Thanks

Jason

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I very much doubt whether the amount of bass that you hear is much effected by the Yamaha as it is a low level signal that is passed to the subwoofer which uses it's own internal amplifier to boost the signal.

The M&K VX-100 was tested by HCC four years ago and they liked it giving it a high mark. It is however only a compact sub powered by a 100watt amp and whilst it should make a respectable fist of providing bass it won't be man enough to provide the kind of bass that you can feel, especially in a larger room.

I would guess that the subwoofer being used on your recent demo was probably larger, having a larger amp as well.

There is nothing wrong with your Yamaha A2 but you may have to think about buying a bigger sub if you want to feel the bass. I would suggest that you think about a Paradigm Servo 15 from Richer Sounds if your room is big enough to accomodate what is quite a large box. You will certainly feel the waves coming from that

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is a memory where you can save different parameter configurations.
    You would need to study the manual on how to save and recall the settings though it's not necessary to change it if you don't want to use this feature.

Else I agree with Ian, not the amps fault but rather the sub.

4. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

The dealer where I got the demo, was using a Rel 150. He's offered to let me try it one weekend to see if it cures the problem :)

I feel a little happier that the amp is not to blame, but now I've started looking at what new on the market, I've caught upgradeitis and will be looking at a new amp and sub now!! :D

Going to try to demo the Denon 3803, or A11SR if I can stretch that far.

Thanks again for your advice

regards

Jason

5. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    2. DLBY DGTL Set, LFE Level 0db(cannot increase this), D-Range = Max

You could try turning this off as as this is designed to lessen the impact of high volume scenes if i remember correctly. I would think it could help with the amount of impact your experiencing.

Cheers,

Hus

6. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mogli

I'll go and give a try

Jason

7. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mogli

Tried it, but as D-Range was already max, setting it to standard and minimum, just lowered sound levels on all speakers inc sub.

Thanks anyway

jason

8. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Jason,

MMM i would think that is correct as Dynamic Range helps louden scenes which are low and lowers the ones which are high. So you will need to turn it up higher but when the action scenes kick in you should get the full effect :cool: i think.

Try it out,

Hus

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On Yamaha AV amps/receivers MAX means no change, i.e. the full dynamic range is reproduced. Thus setting to Normal or MIN will reduce the dynamic range.