• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha DSP800e - is there a modern (HDMI equipped) version?

Legzr1

Prominent Member
As title.

I've used the 800e for years now but it's time I jumped into Blu-ray,HDMI and the lovliness that is Master Audio.

Is there a modern version of the 800e available (i.e something cheap and cheerful that will slot into a stereo system whilst providing amplification for centre/side/rear/sub channels)?

Or am I stuck with plab B - a 5/6/7/15.1 receiver which will output front left+right channels for 'off-board' amplification? (bit of a waste of 2 channels of amplification though..)

Any ideas appreciated :smashin:

Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest with all flashing lights and weighing in at 100Kg !

Used/preowned/second hand bothers me little either so maybe a 'wanted' ad in the classifieds is the way?

Ta.

Mr_Sukebe

Established Member
I don't know of any similar processors with only three channels of amplification included. Your options are really in the full on AV amps, or with some of the newer processors (e.g. Audiolab 8000ap). Note that whilst your Yam is fairly ancient in technical terms, if you ignore is lack of HD capability, it's rather a good bit of kit, and IMO can compete with a lot of the newer AV amps out there.

I'd suggest you have consider the ratio of HD to SD films you watch, then either go with an older processor like the Meridian 568, or save up and buy a unit like the Audiolab.

Legzr1

Prominent Member
Thanks for that Mr S.

Suppose it's just a case of suck it and see once I get everything up and running.

Worst case scenario (I presume ?) would be taking the 'core' DTS signal from the player via Spdif or Toslink and be left with a sound i'm quite happy with at the moment then wait for a similar product to trickle down to 800e prices.

Not ideal but that would leave me with comparable sound to what I currently have but better visuals from Blu Ray.

Mr_Sukebe

Established Member
Thanks for that Mr S.

Suppose it's just a case of suck it and see once I get everything up and running.

Worst case scenario (I presume ?) would be taking the 'core' DTS signal from the player via Spdif or Toslink and be left with a sound i'm quite happy with at the moment then wait for a similar product to trickle down to 800e prices.

Not ideal but that would leave me with comparable sound to what I currently have but better visuals from Blu Ray.

I'm literally just selling my own E800, so I know where you're coming from. It's been taking core DTS from my BD player since I bought one, and it definitely sounded better than normal DVD.
If you look at the thread about the new Onkyo processor, there's a chap in there who's presently comparing his Meridian 568 to his new Onkyo. Interesting that he thinks the Meriidan still sounds better than the Onkyo on SD-DVD (hardly unexpected), but that the Onkyo has the edge when playing HD. I don't know about you, but my ratio of SD-DVD to BD films is around 15:1, so I know which format I'm still happy getting the max from.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom