1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP750 AXE Speaker connections?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Irvinek, Sep 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Irvinek

Irvinek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, I bougth the above as an upgrade to a Marantz SR5200 and have been more than happy with the results.
    I already had the Mission M74 cinema pack of speakers (which I'd like to consider replacing, but one thing at a time!!) and fairly bog standard cable (Gale I think).
    Now..... the Yamaha didn't have banana plug connectors for speaker cable so I had to use just the binding posts with bare wire connection from speakers (still have plugs on speaker end connections).
    I thought I saw mention somewhere that I could have the Yamaha modded to change to banana plug connections? Is this my only option to improve speaker cable connections? I wondered whether the existing posts would accept spade connectors, is there a certain size of these that will fit?
    I'm in a dilemna as I want to upgrade the cables, possibly to bi-wire the two fronts, but seems a little pointless without a decent connection to the amp...

Please help......

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    All you do is pry the plastic blanking covers out of the back of the binding posts and the banana plugs will then fit. I think most 750 owners have done this.

I think you'd have a hard time fitting spades in all around.

Your existing bare wire to binding posts is the optimal connection as far as quality is concerned, bananas and spades are purely for convenience. I have my mains bi-wired using bananas, but before I put the plugs on I had them biwired from bare wire at the amp end...

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    binding bare wire is fine, as long as you are careful no stray wire shorts anything out (connect with amp turned off! this isnt just a safety warning!)

good banana plugs can be just as good and more convenient, and also bare wire can corrode, so re-stripping every so often is reccommended. :)

4. Irvinek

Irvinek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies, I'll have a look at removing the blanking plugs tonight maybe, or just re-do the bare wire ends???

Any thoughts on replacement speakers which would work well with Yamaha? I do quite like the Kef eggs and the 1005s are selling quite cheap at the moment. Would these be good for music or are they more tailored for cinema?

Could I look at replacing just the fronts and centre or is it more advisable to "co-ordinate" speakers in a system?
    Thanks

5. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have celstion 'eggs' - very similar to the Kef, and have the 750 - they work great together (as long as you have a sub) - but, I would say it is really for cinema rather than music - go for something with more low-range for music