• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha DSP-Z7/RXV3900 + MA/MS speakers?

tomk246

Standard Member
After much deliberation and help from these forums, I think I've found the amplifier for my chosen speakers.

I'm planning on either some monitor audio RS silver (the end of line one's I think); or a set of mordaunt short aviano's. Either way, I've read that yamaha and denon pair nicely with these. Also the room that the speakers are in is a dedicated cinema room, which is massive (305t x 15ft ish).. so a powerful amp/speaker combination would be needed..

The price of the yamaha RX-V3900 is similar to the DSP-Z7, so what is the real difference? whathifi rated the DSP-Z7 more highly, so is it the wiser choice?

Thanks,

Tom

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The price of the yamaha RX-V3900 is similar to the DSP-Z7, so what is the real difference? whathifi rated the DSP-Z7 more highly, so is it the wiser choice?

Thanks,

Tom

I don't know where you're getting those prices from.

Yamaha RXV3900

Yamaha DSPZ7

tomk246

Standard Member
Hi,

I found a not so good price for the RXV3900 and the same for the DSP-Z7! thanks for the tip though...

I guess my next question is - is the DSP-Z7 the best buy? I've looked at the owners thread, it seems like a good purchase, although somewhat outdated..
Are there any clear competitors?

Thanks,

Tom

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I found a not so good price for the RXV3900 and the same for the DSP-Z7! thanks for the tip though...

I guess my next question is - is the DSP-Z7 the best buy? I've looked at the owners thread, it seems like a good purchase, although somewhat outdated..
Are there any clear competitors?

Thanks,

Tom
The 3900 and above have always been out of my price range, so I've never done thorough research, but I do know that both are highly regarded amps. With regard to "somewhat outdated". I wouldn't let that bother me. As long as an amp has the functionality that you require it will be fine. In fact, this years Yamaha releases have not had the same acclaim that the amps released last year, the same year that the 3900 and Z7 were released, had and have been critisized for cost cutting, which has affected the quality. I purpously bough my 1900, knowing that it had just been discontinued, for that very reason.

From my general intrest reading, rather than thorough research, it doe seem that the Z7 is the one to go for if you have the budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom