Yamaha DSP modes - quite an experience

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cribeiro, Nov 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi! Long time since my last thread!

I just wanted to report my experience with the DSP modes (my amp, Yamaha rx-v530, speakers Magnat Motion floorstand... trying to improve to Magnat Vector [from entry level to middle level, so to say]!). I hope it doesn't open the debate hate-love, neither the faked-to-real sound.
    My motivation comes from yesterday's experience with a jazz concert on tv.
    I don't use to listen to jazz, although I don't dislike it. This is why I didn't experience this until now (also that I moved and in my new flat I can implement the speaker setup properly).
    Everybody knows that the yamaha dsp modes add a certain echo to the source. They claim it should reproduce the effect of being in a certain room. I can say now that this is completely true.
    The experience was to switch from normal stereo, where I could hear each of the instruments, balanced and defined within the limitations of my budget hifi, to the jazz dsp, which introduced me into a room where the instruments were in front of me, but at the same time I felt surrounded by their presence. The sensation was reality, or at least something closer to reality. The stage was expanded and came into live. It is something difficult to put into words.
    I have to add that my girlfriend, who also has good ear, got the same impression and was not biased by me (I wish I could do it! :) ) or by the options I chose in the amp (she didn't know what was the output in each case).
    The ranking was:
    stereo-> good. Sound is in front of me, distributed and well defined.
    plII music-> better. This expands the stage, some sound is sent to the rears so the surrounding experience starts... The instruments sound with more precision, "less crowded".
    dsp- jazz -> live concert! The difference with plII music is audible, the feeling is huge. Now I am not only "wrapped" by the music, but I get a sense of ambience, presence. The music is more detailed, it is easier to separate the different instruments. I am there!
    With the other dsp for music (rock, hall) I also got a similar impression and improvement, but I liked less, for this music, the room where I got virtually placed (I mean it sincerely, I felt placed there!).

I don't know much about mixing music, but as far as it looks like, in most of the cases they just take the sound of each instrument and voice, and put all together with a certain relative weight to each sound and channel (R/L). Now, if you take that and add the echoes (which should be read as "information of the room layout"), you end up with the real thing.
    On the other side, some authors already include that in the cd, dvd or whatever, so you don't need to add that, and if you do it you overemphasize it. The overall result would be too much echo, an artificial sound that disappoints. For example, some concerts may include these effects in the source, and I also found that many of Queen songs have already echoes to achieve a certain effect that can be completely spoiled by the dsp modes.
    On the other side, many people are purists in the sense that they want to listen to what the artist intended to produce, and they would argue that the dsp modes distort this. Being right, I would do a remark: these dsp modes (don't know about other amp makers) create ambience, presence. They don't just enhance bass and treble. If you want, you can think of it like if you living room were as big as a hall of concerts and your speakers were placed there in the usual way for stereo layout. So no distorsion, no faking!

Summarizing, the music dsp modes (maybe someday I'll write about the ones for movies) are like to choose the hall where you want to attend the concert (or no hall at all), only in the case that this information (or any of this kind) is not included in the source.
    It is good that they are there, because depending on the moment, you can prefer a certain ambience, or no ambience at all.

PS: moderators, feel free to delete this if you think it doesn't contribute to the forum... But I hope it does! (well, you are free to do it..., I mean I won't be disappointed )

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Interesting comment.

I got a yammy 630 but I've never really played with the DSP modes. I found that some of the DSP modes introduced weird clicking noises and other artefacts when playing a digital 5.1 sound track from my DVD player or XBox.

But I'll definitely have a play with them for stereo material :)

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I am glad to hear that! I like to be useful to the community that helped me so much when I bought my receiver.
    About the clicking... Well, I know the 630 has the ToPArt circuitry, of which lack the lower models, but that apart, the differences are in power and connections... I never heard any noise like that, you should check that out, maybe it is a faulty unit!
    Also true that in most of the cases I don't use the dsp for movies (maybe only the enhanced dd or dts, and only in movies with little sound in the rears). So I will also do it!
    Greetings,

Alberto

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, thats cool - I've got the 620 and while I have tested them, I'm not overly impressed with the output...I normally just use 'enhanced' mode, even for music, but I will at some point buy a stero amp...