1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-E800

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Nike, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi there, I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a tech query related to this product. I am planning to add a DSP-E800 to my existing 2 channel set-up, the heart of which is a Rotel RC972/RB971 pre/power. I have seen various queries on this b/b relating to vol setting on the stereo amp the DSp is connected to and was wondering the following:
    Using a 1phono plug-2phono socket adapter on each of the power amps inputs, (effectively giving it 2 stereo 'ins')would it be possible to have the DSPE800 and my preamp connected to the pwr amp at the same time, so that when in 'movie mode' the front speaker signals go straight from the DSP pre-outs into the power amp thereby bypassing the pre-amp altogether? Can anyone see a problem with what is effectively connecting 2 preamps to a single power amp? (obviously they won't be used at the same time. I just think that if this IS OK it would save a lot of faffing around setting the pre-amp vol to the correct level every time I want to watch a film. Thanks.

2. Ruff 1

Ruff 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice would be to speak to either Rotel directly or hope that the knowledgeable Reiner answers your query. With the help of both himself and Rotel, I am now extremely please with my RB 980BX (x2) and RC 980BX along with the DSP-E800.

If you do get your suggestion to work, let me know. I'd be interested in trying out your theory.

Ruff 1

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Calling for me? [​IMG]

Here comes the bad news: do NOT connect two outputs (in this case the pre-amp outs) together, this can damage the pre-amp stage of the other or both amps when they are powered on at the same time.

But here comes the good news, avoiding two preamps for movies and still keeping the stereo path clean, which I have learned on a German forum:
    http://www.audiomap.com/cgi-local/forum/amforum.cgi?az=show_thread&om=396&forum=AMForumID9&omm=1

Ignore Page 1, but Page 2 shows how to hook it up, the stereo-preamp needs a REC OUT Selector though.
    Page 2 shows the settings / signal path for stereo (e.g. CD) and Page 3 the settings for surround sound.
    The TAPE OUT goes to the POWER AMP INPUT connector (which is not shown in the drawing).

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ruff 1/Reiner,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I don't speak Deutsche, but I got the impression from the German forum that my pre-amp would need a record input selector - It just has a record monitor switch. The o/p of this is still governed by the vol control.
    How about setting my remote commander so that a power on signal to the DSP is accompanied by a power off signal to the Rotel pre? This would avoid them ever being on together. just a thought!!
    Thanks again.
    Nike

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you have not read what I said: you do need a REC OUT selector.

The pictures actually speak for themselves, so no need to learn "Deutsch".
    Besides, they are in English ... [​IMG]

As an alternative I would suggest using a manual switchbox between stereo and AV amp pre-outs going into the power amp.
    Should be available from electronic stores ...
    Though I don't know what difference it makes between setting the volume (on the stereo-pre) to a pre-defined level for AV, turning the REC OUT selector (if available) or doing the manual switch thing: in any case you need to get up from your couch. [​IMG]

6. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Reiner,
    Thanks again for the reply, I guess I'm just being lazy. I'll need to get of my arse to insert a disc in the DVD tray anyway!
    Nike

7. vole

vole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using an AV Amp/Processor or Hybrid (DSP-E800) and connecting
    to a "real" stereo Amp for the front speakers is obviously the
    route being followed by a lot of people. It's the method I want to
    use.

Two questions-

1) Sadly the link quoted below by Reiner seems to have gone
    away. Is there another reference that shows the recommended
    hookup?

2) AVForums have an FAQ for the forums themselves, but is there
    support for an "FAQ" thread within the subjects?

This subject (connecting processors/Amps) seems ripe for an
    FAQ, and I bet the old hands on the forum could contribute
    more.

Comments?

Vole