Yamaha DSP E800 - HELP!

D

Deb (and Mike)

We've just picked up one of the last of these noble beasts, but are finding the manual less than a lot of help in connecting it up. Everyone, including posters here, assures us that it can be very easily connected into an amp's tape look, so you can switch it in and out. But can any kind soul please tell a not very experienced hifi lady just exactly how? And as simply as possible, please?

I'm trying to hook it up to my husband's Audiolab pre/power combination, which has two sets of tape i/o sockets, selected by input and record selectors. The sound source would be our DVD player, connected to the CD input. I'd appreciate any help, as I'm afraid of damaging something expensive!

Many thanks,

Deb

Hi Deb,

there are a couple of options for connecting this amp up, the simplest way might be to avoid the tape loop altogether. connect the DVD player via a digital connnection to the yamaha, then simply use the "main output L&R" connectors to go to the audiolab's normal inputs (any of them, cd, tuner, MD, not phono though). To get the levels matched you need to just set your audiolabs volume to an easy to remember point (I chose 12 o'clock) and then use the level menu options on the yamaha to get the other chaneels matched with the test tone. If you want to get the best quality in 2 channel cd audio all you would have to do is connect the analogue outputs from the dvd player into the CD input of the audiolab, then use that like normal adjusting the volume on the audiolab.

HTH
Owain

Thanks, Owain! That sounds as if it should be okay. I was recommended to use the tape loop, though -- any particular reason anyone knows of?

Deb

Thanks, Owain! That sounds as if it should be okay. I was recommended to use the tape loop, though -- any particular reason anyone knows of?
Using the tape loop you could switch any source that is directly connected to the stereo amp via the E800.

Say your CDP is directly connected to the stereo amp:
- when you select the CD input at the stereo amp it would be a direct path, the E800 could remain switched off
- when you select Tape as input instead the signal from the CDP would be send to the E800 (via the tape out) and back (via the tape in), thus you could apply some bassmanagement or DSP mode (at the E800).
[If there is a REC Out selector it must be set to CD.]

The second option might be useful on occasion, e.g. when you need subwoofer support or want to apply some DSP (surround sound) to your CDs.

Wiring would be:
Stereo amp Tape out - E800 AUX (or CD etc.) in
E800 front pre-outs - Stereo amp Tape in
Front speakers connect to the stereo amp, the rest (center and rears) to the E800.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom