Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha DSP E800 connections

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by roe, Aug 11, 2005.

1. roe

roe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased, belatedly perhaps, a Yamaha DSP E800 for use with my hifi set up which comprises a MF Nu-vista CD, Quad tuner, Quad 66/306 pre and power amps with MA Studio 20 floorstanding speakers. My intention is to use the DSP as a preamp for a DVD player (not yet acquired) and leave the tuner and CD connected to the 66 preamp. I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.
    1. I propose to connect the DSP to the preamp tape input but also connect the CD to the DSP with a digital (optical or co-axial) connection so I can explore the concert hall effect with my old CDs. Can anyone see a problem with that?
    2. Is there much of an advantage in putting the DVD video signals through the DSP? If so I have to decide on a suitable connection. The TV will accept S-video via a scart and component video. Is there any sense in routing component video from a DVD through the DSP and then into the TV

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    None at all except that it doesn't really sound very good (IMHO) and you'll likely get bored of it -not a reason not to do it though! it'll certainly work.

Just route the DVD to the TV via component, the DSP800 will do svideo switching but this has a perceptably lower quality than component. the only advantage would be if you had several svideo sources (satelite, consoles, dvds), then the video could be automatically switched with the audio, otherwise, stick with direct to TV.

3. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are not going to add a center and rear speakers and a subwoofer to the DSP E800?
    If you want to enjoy the surround DTS and Dolby Digital sound on dvd movies and music dvd's that's is highly recommended. The Yamaha does that job real well.

I route my CD player straight into my Luxman L525 for stereo, but I also have a digital optical connection to the DSP-E800 so I can play the few cd's with ripped DTS sound from it. Playing normal audio cd's with the several pro-logic and other processor modes is only fun for an hour, but not recommended.

DVD video out put goes straight to the tv no use giving the signal a longer degrading route.
    DVD audio goes with digital optical cable to the Yamaha DSP E800 for decoding the surround sound available on most dvd disks.