1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX757SE - Does anyone have one..........

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Sep 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    .........and what do you think of it.
    I'm tempted to go for this one (the price is very good aswell), but am also thinking of the Denon 2805.

Has anyone tested these two?
    I've seen a review and there was hardly anything between them, but the Denon won, even though the Yamaha is over £100 cheaper.

I would have thought the Yamaha would have won due to the price difference.

I'm just wondering which has the better 'auto setup'. Don't think there is anything in it.

2. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have owned a Yamaha 757 for the last few months -as my first home-cinema receiver - and I am quite happy with it - as are a number of other users, going off the other threads. I have no doubt that there will be an equal number swearing by the Denon. I notice that you own a Denon at present, so if you liked that, you may be tempted to get the uptodate model.

I know a lot of people keep saying that you should go and listen to a demo - but I have yet to find a retailer (atleast in this neck of the woods), where you could listen to a Yamaha and Denon - connected to the same system which you (or anybody else) currently operate - it is simply impossible!

As the quality of the sound generated will depend as much on the type of DVD player and speakers used, a shop demo of these two models would be a pointless exercise.
    So just go, buy and enjoy!

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    hardly a pointless exercise, but not the be all and end all of your decision, if one sounds rubbish in a demo, its likely to sound rubbish when you get it home. :)

4. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Were you happy with the end result on the 'auto setup'.

The Denon I own at the moment is a few years old, and these latest models are a lot better.
    I did see a review of these two amplifiers and the Denon won, just.
    The way I see it, if they were so close why not get the Yamaha and save myself over £100.

Do you know if there is a forum dedicated to this amplifier?

5. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Auto-setup on the Yamaha seems to work quite well - I have been happy with the result - though I am planning to get an analogue SPL meter and tests disc, just to make sure that I am not missing out.

My own decision to buy the Yamaha was simply based on test-reports and what I have read on this forum (most of which related to the previous model - (the DSPAX 750). The Yamaha is probably cheaper than the Denon simply because of the larger numbers being made i.e economies of scale.
    I think you can't go wrong with either the Denon or the Yamaha.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Soundstyle have you thought abotu buying from Germany? You may be able to get a RXV 1500 for the same price as the 757 your looking at now:D

I found the auto setup fairly accurate but a little fine tuning with a spl did improve it all.

7. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one just this weekend (ordered in black, incidentally - from AV Land in Kettering - they were excellent and price-matched Richer Sounds' price on the unit) as an upgrade to the also in-its-time much-vaunted DSP AX640SE - and am most happy with it!

For me the extra tweakability was key - e.g. adjustable crossover.

It's running with the KEF 2005.2 'eggs' - but the sub is the SVS 25-31 PC+.

(All-in the set-up is awesome and IMO well-matched)

Objectively, there is indeed not much in it between Yamaha and Denon - but my reasons are based on a greater 'belief' in the Yamaha brand - and because they invented home-cinema amplification (AFAIK). Plus the awards help!

I can't of course perceive any difference over the older one - except it is now definitely happier driving the 100W eggs. Blasting music is much better, now.

I think it's a bit of a Canon/Nikon dilemma - not much in it - except non-performance-related factors.

Good luck, whichever way you go!!

P.s. I hate Auto Set-Up - and so can't comment on this. I always prefer to know exactly what's been adjusted and by how much. The manual set-up process is a dream to do however - and extremely logical and intuitive. Principally - the main things that need setting are speaker types, speaker distances (always by definition better done by measurement), and speaker levels. All other parameters' settings depend on what the rest of your system is about. The adjustable crossover was critical for me to integrate the SVS into the system overall. You can even adjust speaker levels in real-time, while a source is playing - i.e. not forced into using test-tones, if you don't want.

8. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I think I'm going to go for the Yamaha.
    I'm a stingy bugger, so saving over £100 sounds good to me.
    Even if the Denon is better in some areas I doubt it will be by much.

Dfour: I prefer to buy from the UK.

ARIF: How much did you pay?

9. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Concerning the remote: Can you switch off the display so that it's blank?

10. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £399.95 for it - and their web site is www.avland.com, I'm pretty certain - based in Wellingborough, anyway (sorry - not Kettering!).

Not sure precisely what you might mean about the remote - it does have a small display on it - which serves very little purpose overall - and I'm pretty sure you can't turn it off.

The display on the unit itself however - is dimmable to almost invisible, and will also go and stay off in 'Pure Direct' mode - but this is only really for listening to high fidelity stereo sources.

Hope this helps!

Good move - now that I know where you're leaning, I can get off the Fence of Objectivity, and say, "Get the Yamaha!! Get the Yamaha!! It ROCKS!!".

Which is my true sentiment on the matter. :smashin:

11. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  12. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I bought my 757 from my local Audio-T store who price BEAT the best online price I could find at the time to £375, and I get full 'shop' backup support if I have any problems (which I haven't) :)

With a little work see you can find it online for £377 delivered from Empire Direct:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=YAM-DSPAX757SETI

Print that off and get one of the high street stores to price match or price beat that price, infcat Richer Sounds will price beat that by a tenner (http://ws3.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=pricebeat) so there you go, a 757 for £367 from a high street store!

13. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Have you had a receiver before?
    If you have what was it, and how does this Yamaha compare to it's performance?
    It's unbelievable how cheap this Yamaha is, and in some reviews I've seen, they say that a year ago you would have to pay at least £1000 for the same performance!
    Thanks

14. ConfusedTA

ConfusedTA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jon,

That link seems to say £440...! I'd be interested to get it for £367 from RS! ;)

15. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I just clicked on it, and it came up as £369.84

16. Tafkap

Tafkap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I just got my amp this morning, I've not plugged it in yet, but I was wondering if the buttons for volume on the remote light up in the dark?

There are a few buttons which look clear as if there should be a light under them for night use - the amber display is fine, but I was just wondering in case I had a faulty unit? Thanks.

Andrew

17. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    It does for me as well!

18. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tafkap - the buttons on the remote are not illuminated - only the little display window.

19. Tafkap

Tafkap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Goofy, that's put my mind at rest.

I still think it's quite cruel of Yamaha to make the buttons look like they could be lit up - it would have been a nice touch.

Thanks again.

20. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    They do on the 1500 and the 2500 but as the labels are above the buttons its pretty pointless, you still need light to see what your doing, so believe me your not missing much.

21. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While it does boggle the mind that Yamaha could make a remote this way, I find that over time you get to know where buttons are on your remote and the fact that the buttons do light up help you to find the button you're looking for quicker. Only a few buttons have their labels on the actual button so it still begs the question why didnt they put all the labels on the buttons :confused: I suppose we can be grateful that the remote doesn't dissintegrate though :rolleyes:

22. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Very true, poor poor denon 3805 owners just hope its not a symptom of over all build quility of the competing product :D

23. Alien Cranium

Alien Cranium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Soundstyle, will you still be using your Arcam Pre/Power amps for the CD's or will the Yamaha be you main amp?

24. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I will be using the Arcam pre/power amps just for music.
    Yamaha will be used just for movies.