1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX757SE: Digital In/Out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BootBlock, Aug 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. BootBlock

BootBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    I'm currently in the process of setting up a home theatre and have bought everything so far except for the plasma itself. As the room they're all going in is still being sorted, everything is still packed away and I took a look at the manual for the 757SE while bored and discovered something that I hope isn't true as it just wouldn't make sense:

Surely this can't mean what I think it means? I was planning on connecting my HTPC's audio via the SPDIF (TOSLink) connector to the amp, but the above means I can't as I'd need to connect speakers to the amp's digital out to make use of the digital in? :confused:

This seems such a stupid thing to have implemented on an A/V device designed to bring everything together, so I'm wondering if I have gotten it completely wrong? Maybe it's just referring to the analogue/digital divide as regards to using the amp as a pass-through.

Background information: I'll have my speakers (Canton CD1+CD50) connected via the standard analogue amped outputs on the amp and they have no facility for digital input. Of course if they did, then that would just mean the reverse of the problem and I wouldn't be able to hear analogue input via the digitally connected speakers - all assuming what the manual says is true and I haven't misunderstood it..

So yeah, my question is: if I connect my speakers to the analogue binding posts as normal, would I be able to hear any audio/signals through them that are sent via one of the optical inputs? :rolleyes:

Oh, while I'm here - I can use 4mm banana plugs with this amp, right? Starting to hear too many horror stories with amps blowing up due to stray strands or being "pushed in too far", and such. I've never used bare wire binding posts (or any at all, in fact) before, so I don't know how "too far" actually is. :rolleyes:

(Damn, I can never seem to write short posts...)

2. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    This is the same for my Yamaha 650 and it does mean "it's just referring to the analogue/digital divide as regards to using the amp as a pass-through". Therefore you can not use the amp to convert analogue inputs to digital out and vice versa.

Your digital in via SPDIF is line level, therefore not amplified which is what the amp will do.

Connect you speakers using 4 mm bananas and digital in via SPDIF from your PC and/or dvd and the amp will split the digital-in into the digital streams, amplify it and output to the relevant speaker and/or frequency range.

If its the sames as my 650 you have "break" the plastic seal on the binding posts, there are instructions in the manual i can not remember exactly what it says.

3. BootBlock

BootBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh audio conversion.. that never really occurred to me. :suicide:

Thanks for the rest of the info; I've not really been into the audio side of things, so it's good to know.

I've had a quick poke about with one of the posts and I couldn't see any kind of seal (or an audible "snap!" as if it's a break-to-open seal), but I'll take another look through the manual and see if I can find anything about it.

Thanks for the reply - you've put my mind at rest that I haven't gone and blown a load of money on the wrong amp. :smashin:

4. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    no problem, enjoy :smashin: