1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX757SE and RX-V657- differences

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Richard H, Oct 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Richard H

Richard H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    new on here! hi there

I am looking to replace a 9yr old Nad716.

After a quick look at the reviews I have seen and heard the Yamaha DSP-AX757SE amplifier which seems to be available at around £370. Also well reviewed (but not heard) is the RX-V657 receiver which can be had for approx £300.

Apart from radio capability on the 657 and a fancy remote on the 757 I cannot see anything from the reviews or in yamahas own blurb to suggest that the extra £70 is worthwhile from the point of view of sound quality? I am concerned to get as good as possible stereo music sound as well as for AV and there is some mention of the 757 being tuned for the UK market to assist with this aspect- but this may apply to the 657 as well??

overall the implication is that from the point of view of sound, I dont need to spend the extra £70. Am I missing something or is this a correct conclusion?

Any comments would be most welcome

2. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct, the only difference is that the 757 has a phono input where as the 657 does not.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    And more power, the differences were greater with the 750 and 650, like component upconversion but this is no longer the case. The 757 may be made with better components, for example if its significantly heavier then its probly better.

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    The remote is a learning affair, the volume control is spun aluminium, phono input, extra power.

5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,426
    Weight and dimensions are identical.

Cheers,

Nigel

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,426
    Out of interest, can the Yamaha 657 (or 757) take banana plugs.

The manual suggests not, and I think I've read that it maybe down to some EU regulation because banana plugs fit exactly in European power sockets. (Not entirely convinved by this because there are plenty of other amps and speakers that are compatible with banana plugs).

I also think I've read that end is simply sealed and if you remove the seal then banana plugs work.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Cheers,

Nigel

7. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They absolutely definitely do!!

However - new owners are often too tentative and cautious to discover or believe this.

The series of red and black terminal post knobs all have a circular indentation in their tops. This is a seal - meant to be broken through - if you're using plugs.

It does take quite a lot of force - and looking at it - it really isn't obvious that you're meant to be breaking past these! I only had the confidence with my 757 once I'd been through the to'ing and fro'ing with my 657. It can be done with the plugs - but a philips screwdriver of correct shank-width will also be good.

8. nutrut

nutrut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks dude you have just saved me a major headache with your tips on the yammy :thumbsup:

9. Richard H

Richard H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the "street" price difference now seems to be about £90 - so I have gone for the "free" tuner and saved the difference!