Yamaha DSP-AX750SE: Speaker Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mediahub, Mar 6, 2005.

1. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The title of the thread says it all, really.

Just recently bought this amp to replace my ageing Technics SU-A600 (nothing wrong with the amp, I just felt it was time to take the plunge into setting up a full AV theatre system). The other components are of equal vintage (although the dvd player is only 18 months old - a relic these days, I know! - but are still good components as I didn't scrimp at the time. They'll probably be upgraded eventually, but felt that speakers, amp and - either this month or next month - dvd player/recorder were the components to concentrate on at the moment. Also cables and interconnects, but that's another topic entirely!

I've been reading a lot on these forums trying to guage opinion on a number of speaker systems but am still unsure of which ones to go for. I just use two speakers that were handed-down to me from my dad years ago, so I suppose anything I get would sound 10 times better!

I've heard good things said about the Tannoy FX 5.1 speakers and the Canton CD1, but I also like the look of the Denon SYSA3L set. Especially like the aesthetics of those, too. The wood finish would really complement the rest of the room. It seems like I could pick one from about half a dozen systems and I wouldn't go far wrong.

I'd be especially interested to know what other owners of this amp have as their speakers. I'm looking to spend around £250/£300 but could stretch to more if people felt it was worth the extra investment.

The speakers would be used for both music and films equally in a 16ft square room with a high ceiling (not sure if that's relevant, but I'll mention it anyway!) Also, aesthetics play a small but important part as I wouldn't want them to clash with the room (I have a lot of pine stuff!)

Thanks for any help.....much appreciated!

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    THe best "budget" speaker system I would recommend is the mordaunt short premiere plus (£479). Make sure it is the plus because it comes with a cracking sub. I gave my mum the same advice and they sound very good with her yamaha 750se which i also recommened :D

Get them from petertyson.co.uk very fast delivery and good customer service.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/msavantpremiere.shtml

the sub pictured is the plus version sub which is a great sub.

3. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £479 may be a tad more than I was initially prepared to spend, although they do look tempting! They also come with all the cabling and brackets I'd need which is helpful.

To be honest, I'm quite new to all this home theatre malarkey, but I do make sure on 'expensive' goods before buying them, regardless of price. Plenty of hours are spent trawling forums, review sites, etc....

If I think these are the speakers for me then I'll buy them, no hesitation. Thanks for the recommendation........they look the business!

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    A bad word has not been said on this package not at the price. Magazine reviews even though I take them with a pinch of salt have raved about them. The next step up would be the monitor audio package but i wont go there. ;)

but my mum has the same system of the yamaha 750se and these speakers and I am impressed even though my system cost 3-4 times more.

5. richhaywood

richhaywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my dsp750SE for a while now and run a mixture of mordaunt short speakers.

mordaunt short 904's, 302's and and 304c i also run a yamaha sub, not too sure about the model number.

IMO, i don't like the 300 series speakers, they work fine with the amp, but just don't offer the flexibility of playing movies and multi ch audio. I am replacing the center with the 905 and the rears with 902's. But i shall keep the 302's as "present" speakers.

Try get your self some second hand run-in set of 900 series mordaunts they work very well with the amp.

ps. i also just changed from optical lead from dvd to amp to a new sr75 cable, i was honestly supprised that a cable made a difference.

:thumbsup:

6. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a pair of Sonus Fabers as they are smallish but good quality. They will end up as rears later when I buy som big brothers for them. Not everyone's taste, but I like 'em.

7. nashb

nashb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive rigged mine up to four Tannoy MX2s and a Tannoy Saturn 8c centre and they sound fab. I bought the Tannoys of ebay new for £220 last month but am upgrading to M&Ks.

U can have them 4 £200ish if u want.

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mediahub, if music is a priority make sure you listen to *any* set of sub/satellite speakers carefully with the music you like.

when I was auditioning speakers i found that no set of satellite speakers could provide enough midrange for the sound I liked - none of them sounded "big" enough including MS Genies and equivalent priced packages. The set I liked most were Canton CD1s for music, but they still weren't meaty enough for me.

I have MS906s and they're excellent with music and movies.

I'd definitely recommend full size speakers for music, there are plenty of good sounding bookshelves if you want something less imposing.

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the a similar thing. Had the premiere satellite system, then upgraded gradually to 906 fronts, 905 centre, and 902 rears. What a difference :eek: Very happy - superior speakers! :D The difference the centre 905 makes is amazing. dialogue is excellent!

10. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all seriousness, could you use 3x MS905c speakers?

Would the a pair of 905s work as front speakers as well? I've been wondering how it handles music, it sounds great as a centre in my configuration so it may work as a front speaker.

Has anyone tried this?

11. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha! Had a much better plan...hopefully not out of budget and should sound fantastic with a 750...wish I'd thought of this when I was buying.

Buy a Canton CD1 set (5.1) (£240? from Jake James UK deal)
    Buy three extra Canton CD50s (£88 each also from JJ I think)

CD10 CD10 (PRESENCE)
    CD50 CD50 CD50 (LEFT-CENTRE-FRONT)
    CD10 CD10 (SURROUND SIDES)
    CD20 (SURROUND REAR)

This will give you an excellent 6.1 system with 2 presence speakers to lift dialogue and widen the front soundstage.

12. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have the AE Evo 5.1 kit with my 750 and it's awesome :)

13. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mango Bob

I had not thought of that combination either, sounds like a good idea for yammy guys

JJ

14. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being full-size the CD50s will be able to carry music properly without dropping the midrange you lose with just satellite-sized fronts

15. fozzybronze

fozzybronze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only tell you what I've linked mine up to and tell you that I am happy with the set up...although the wife raised her eyebrows at the size of the fronts, but SHE has since been complemented on them for their styling.

But has anyone in the forum ever gone...I've got 'such n such', but they're ****e?

Missions all round...m34i fronts were £200 from hiwayhifi (be patient as their delivery times and quality of customer service is worth a forum on its own)

M3 centre and m5 rears from Superfi (who were great, although there was a problem with the centre speaker they exchanged without any fuss) £210 for all 3 of them!

As I answered in another forum the wall mountable m5 are almost invisible to visitors to my home, despite my shouts of LOOK AT MY NEW SOUND SYSTEM.......PLZE

16. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies fellas!

Looks like I'll be going with the MS Premier Plus set-up. They've had some great reviews and would fit nicely in my room.

Plus I've had a look for them on the Peter Tyson website and they come with speaker cable and a sub lead which saves me from scouring the cabling forum and getting a headache over which cable to use!

By the way, anyone know where I can get more titanium-coloured kit to go with the Yamaha?! I'm quite taken with the colour and may swap out some of my older components!