1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX750SE - sound levels problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adrian.stewart, Jul 15, 2005.

1. adrian.stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Help. Please.

I have Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers through the Yam amp (they're in so no point b1tching about them now). When I watch DVDs on my Yamaha DVD-S540 player, the sound levels don't seem to be right. The special effects seem to be very loud and if we turn the sound down to an acceptable level, we can't hear the dialog.

Is this just a level problem with the centre speaker and do I simply need to turn it up? The amp has an automatic level setting mode that doesn't seem to help.

The DVD is connected to the amp via co-axial (component video).

Also, I have no idea which mode (sur. standard, sur. enhanced etc.) to watch the DVDs in. Can someone give me a dummy's guide to DTS, Dolby Digital etc? :confused:
  2. Tejstar

Dec 4, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    You can individually turn the sound up or down from each of your channels although this may ruin your soundstage.

You may find that the centre is overpowered by the other speakers (I'd argue that the centre channel is the most important part of any home cinema setup). I had this problem when I had a centre channel that was too weak for the rest of my setup. Once I'd upgraded the centre the problem went away.

DTS tracks may sound different from their Dolby Digital counterparts due to a variety reasons, including the use of different audio stems, the use of different audio masters, the use of different engineering practices, etc. For example, some DTS mixes sound "better" or "louder" only because they are encoded at higher decibels than their DD counterparts. If you play those DTS tracks at the same volume as their DD counterparts, then you might get a similar or even an inferior (!) experience with DTS.

Whether you want to listen to DD or DTS can be picked from the dvd menu (as long as it has DTS, not all do). The amp will automatically do the rest. In my experience, I found that listening in DD provided moire clarity with dialogue heavy films.