1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX750SE - Final Straw

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by IanMcc, Feb 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. IanMcc

IanMcc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up until a few weeks ago the most expensive piece of audio equipment I have ever purchased was a £400 Sony Mini system.

After splashing out £1400 on Yamaha DSP-AX750SE, MS Genies and good quality cables last week, I have tonight connected my Sony Mini system back up again! After numerous problems including a suspected blown speaker and rubbish music sound quality, the final straw came when I tried tonight to connect my PC's sound card to the Yamaha in order to try out some MP3's.
    Even though the sound quality of MP3's is an insult to good quality Hi-Fi equipment, it doesn't change the fact that it should be cable of playing them at least as well as my Sony system. Well yet again, nothing is working as I anticipated. I have plugged the phono plugs into various input sockets, played around with various settings, and have now given up in absolute disgust, and will be trying to return the amp tomorrow. The sound is awful and the amp does not seem to be able to process the signal. The music will play for a bit, and then you get the music cutting out and being replaced by an electronic beep / buzzing noise. Even when it is not cutting out, the sound is just not good enough. The instructions give no clue as to what I am doing wrong. I then got out my Sony system, which I thought was turned off for good, plugged in the phone cables and everything worked.

Never in my life have I felt so completely conned, and what makes it worse is that this system came so highly recommended (and was also very expensive). The very fact that I am now listening to a Sony Mini system speaks volumes.

Has anyone else any experience of connecting a PC sound card to this amp, or was I naive to even attempt to connect a sound card to an AV Amp? This whole seperates game may be new to me, but I have been reading this forum for months now, and I am not stupid with electronics ( I built my own PC).

Ian :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what sound card do you have and how is it connected? i havent heard the genies (i have a ms309 sub though), but ive seen a lot of posts with people saying they arent too good for stereo use. did you have a listen before you bought the system? and have you used the auto setup on the amp to set it up?. does it sound ok with films? or equally bad with both?

a quick little fix that may help is this;

have a play around with the crossover settings on the amp. 80hz is norm but im not sure for genies.

set the LFE output to SUB. but be aware that if you use the pure direct mode, you wont have any sub output, so use straight mode instead. this should make things start to sound 100% better than your mini system mate :)

3. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just saw you already posted in the speaker forum. nevermind :)

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If your getting strange noises and there not origionating fromt he pc then it certainly sounds like the amp is broke, especialy as when your plugging the phonos into the map it should be doiing very little processing. What happens if you select strait or pure diect mode.

Either way it sounds like your speakers or amp (or possibly even both :( ) are broke. Try a bit more experimenting, using your sony as a reference as that seems to work. And if it's not something silly, like your connecting things wrong then i would be surley tempted to return it.

5. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought. how did you spend over a grand on a set of genies and cables? how much did you spend on cables and what were they?

just wondering. as it sounds quite expensive if you didnt listen before buying.

6. IanMcc

IanMcc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Magnet and Steel,

Sound card – Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, connected via phono lead (3.5mm jack to RCA).
    No I didn’t listen to them, as I live in Belfast and had trouble enough finding somewhere that stocked them, never mind getting a demo. I know buying without a demo may seem mad, especially given the expense involved, but we don’t have big stores like Sevenoaks etc over here, and the reviews all seemed overwhelmingly positive.
    I have used the auto set-up, and also played with every other setting imaginable after advice from the helpful people on these forums.
    The system sounds fantastic with movies (except I am now a speaker down!)
    Auto set-up set the crossover to 160hz, but I have also tried it at various points down to 80hz.
    The LFE has been set to Sub.
    I know not to use pure direct, as this cuts out the sub. I am playing music only in Straight mode.

(By the way - £799 for Genies, £379 for Amp, £140 for Monitor Audio Pureflow Silver speaker cable, £33 for Mark Grant Sub Cable and £20 for Mark Grant Digital Co-ax cable.)

Ian

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    This is very odd behaviour. The PC is doing the decoding of the mp3 and outputting it as an analogue signal to your amplifier, so your amp should, theorhetically, just amplify the signal to your speakers. The PC is outputting audio correctly as it is working fine with your midi system, so it seems the amp is at fault somewhere.....but why it is doing it is puzzeling.

Hve you tried using any other sources connected via an analogue connection and seen if the same behaviour occurs? I'm also wondering if some of these mp3s are using a copy protection system which your sony and pc are able to filter out, but the yamaha can't? Try recording one or two of the mp3s onto a CD (in CDA format obviously) and see if the same thing occurs on the yamaha when playing it through the dvd player.

The dealer is a bit poo (technical term), and should have replaced your speaker rather than sending it back to be 'investigated' How it would have blown is beyond me with the implementation you have described.

You will have had the worst luck if both your amp and speaker are faulty. Makes me wonder if your dealer handles the goods in their warehouse with care.

8. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not had a creative soundcard for a few years now, but i remember setting the mixer to "what u hear" made a difference in stereo on my old soundblaster live. im not sure how the drivers and mixer are now on them, but its worth a try if it playing up :)

9. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I agree with everything Kazman has said, but Im having a hard time beliving that both the amp and speakers are faulty (thats bad luck being pushed to its limit).

I would take it back and demand a replacement, dont let the dealer send it off for "inspection".

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

10. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say i have recently purchased a new dsp ax 750 se and have had none of the problems you describe. I very happy with how my system sounds now.

I have my pc connected via a 3.5mm to phono output (**** i know but im working on it) and have played games and mp3's fine. I had to tweak the auto set-up with the fronts as they sounded a bit damp. I have also got my 565a connected and sounds great with movies (i have kef setup not mordaunt short however) aswell as my xbox and ps2 and cd player. I think the problem may be the amp.

Jusy a question but there is a switch on the back regarding bi-wiring the fronts. You have to have it on the right setting prior to turning it on else boom! (a mate of mine did this with his y'see) just an idea.

Let me know how you get on cos whatever may have happened to yours could potentially happen to mine.

Good luck!