1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha dsp-ax750 - which speakers, and is the Denon that much better?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pez, Sep 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Howdy, many thanks to Dfour, he's pointed me in the right direction for some AV amps.

Ive kindof decided on the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE, but id like to know just how much better the Denon AVR-2805 amp is (what hi fi says VERY good things about it).

ive been quoted around 400 squid for the yamaha, and the spec seems great to me, but id like to hear from those whose heard the sound from both which is the better amp.

also...

whilst at my local AV shop today, the store owner tried to sell me some B&W 300 series speakers (5.1) to go with the yamaha amp.

are they any good?

if not, what would be a good set of speakers (i dont mind floor standers) to match either the yamaha amp or the denon amp?

cheers!

pez

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  3. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers for the further advise dfour, youve definitely helped me a load with regards to the audio part of my home cinema.

ive just been down to my local richer sounds in cardiff to pick up a pioneer all in one system (the nsdv99) for my parents house, and whilst down there we got to talking about the Evo 3b system.

turns out they dont stock it, but there is a shop about 50meters away that do called RadioCraft sonus ltd.

I was expecting them to be horribly expensive in a retail outlet like that, but they were going for 699 too!

so i managed to cram the 2 big pioneer boxes, and the 5 huge EVO boxes all into the back of a Fiat Seicento (hey, id rather spend money on other things than my car - like racing cars for example :) ).

so now im just waiting for my richer sounds to get a yamaha 750 and ill be all set! ill add in another pair of rears as and when i settle down with this lot (and figure out just where id put them!)

groovy!

cant wait to give them a listen.

they look fantastic.

pez

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
  5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Pez - Thanks for the info on Radiocraft Sonus.

Peter Tyson have just screwed up delivery of the EGO package I had ordered from them so I've cancelled the order.

A quick call to Radiocraft and I'm picking them up in the morning - saves delivery charges and risk of damage too.

6. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ask them when my commision cheque is going into the post :D

ive decided on the denon amp, so im going hunting tomorrow morning.

according to the denon site theres a few retailers around cardiff on Crwys Road and Albany Road, and then theres another in newport, wish me luck (ive trawled the online sites, but id rather get it tomorrow than mid next week).

pez

7. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I'm looking for an amp too, but haven't decided which one yet :confused:

Had the Marantz 5400 OSE on order from Peter Tyson, but I'm in Victor Meldrew mode at the moment :mad: (think it's old age setting in), and am not putting up with the atrocious service that's taken for granted in this country :nono:

I'm considering the Yam 750 and the Denon 2805, and possibly the Yam 1400 (good price at SuperFi ATM).

Going to be looking around Cardiff / Newport tomorrow aswell so may bump into you :hiya:

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am also very confused between the RXV750 & the RXV1400,
    WHY!!!

coz while the 1400 have more power & have THX while the 750 haven't,but the 750 have newer Chips & LSI's (YSS948) Also the 750 have better looks & have the new & very very good pure direct mode which the 1400 doesn't have while all new high end Yammys have it like (650 , 750 , Z9) & i think the 1500 & 2500 will have it,also the pure direct mode has improved stereo performance over the preivious gen so i think the 750 will be better in Stereo than the 1400.

9. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    just been to seven oaks and picked up the last 2805 they had in stock, sorry!

pez

10. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    wired it all up, played some dts 6.1 dvds, listened to some music (i think massive attacks last album is great for testing speakers and amps out) and i only have 1 word.

cool!

Beats the pioneer nsdv99 we had!

now, just to wait for panasonic to repair my ae500 video projector and its doors open at cinema pez!

cant wait to get lotr rotk extended edition with dts 6.1.

pez

11. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Happy listening pez - don't think you can do otherwise with that setup :thumbsup:

Got the EVO 3b speakers today. Well impressed with the build quality. Did a quick lash up to the AEGO P5 system they'll be replacing and they sound sweet.

Just need the amp now. Having spoken to a couple more people I'm swinging back towards Marantz for the stereo performance. Difficult to find them in stock anwhere to have a listen though.

Or ... might go for a cheaper AV amp and get seperate Hi-Fi components for audio only.

Too many choices, too little time :rolleyes: