1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX750 - sub not switiching on from auto

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zoolap, Nov 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got a Yamaha DSP-AX750 recently. My sub (Kef 30B) has an on/OFF/AUTO switch. With my old sony amp I would leave it on auto and if sub was not getting anything it would go into standby (power LED on red). If it was getting a signal from the amp it would light green. I have crossover set to 120hz. My speakers are Mission Cinema 7 setup (773e Floorstander front, 77c centre, 77ds surrounds). I carried out auto setup, but noticed the fronts were set to small, so have changed them to large. Unless I leave sub in "on" position it doesn't trigger on.

2. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Mine works ok, My speakers are set to large, subwoofer to "BOTH" via the onscreen menu and crossover at 80hz.

The sub still switches on when set to sub only aswell. Give the manual a good read, its pretty comprehensive.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Phil

3. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got the sub pre-out on the amp set at a high volume (rather than having it low and turning the volume control on the sub up high)? Might be that the signal level is too low to trigger the sub at your normal listening volume. My Eltax doesn't trigger if I'm listening to music quite quietly.

4. Syrup

Syrup
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what phil said about the "both" setting is crucial.

im not sure if this is relevant to your sub, and/or this amp, but check the fuses, it could be it, and every avenue is worth looking at!. im sorry, but i dunno where the fuse is on your sub.

Dave

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The other option that a lot of people do is just leave the sub on all the time especially if its a class D (digital) sub. My old MS309 wouldnt wake up all the time from the signel of my 1400 so i just left it set to on.

6. BertRacoon

BertRacoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I also have a Yamaha DSP-AX750, paired with a MS Genie Sub/Sat package and I have a similar problem.

I ran the auto setup on the amp and set the volume and crossover on the sub to the values it said to in the Yamaha's manual, and now sometimes even when I think the sub should be on it isn't. I have noticed that the satellite speakers are set to about +4dB and the sub is set to -3.5db.

Should I adjust the volume on the sub and run the set up again?

On my 409 sub there is a "auto" switch which has on/off, when I first started using it I had it set to auto on, but when watching movies the click when it turns on and off and the fact that you miss the first bit of the rumbles etc annoyed me so I tried setting the auto to be off (so it was always on). This worked great but I can't figure out how to turn it off again. I set it to auto on after the film had finished and although the amp is off and therefore no signals should be coming it doesnt seem to turn itself off.

Any suggestions about how I could make it turn off manually (other than unplugging it) when the auto is turned off?

Thanks

7. andre 3000

andre 3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robroe,
    make sure you have the rear switch inthe correct position. it has three positions,up is off middle is auto,and down is on all the time. also if your sub suddenly dies, do not worry its the internal fuse which is the wrong type. mine did ,you will need a t2.5 instead of the 1.6 supplied.

8. BertRacoon

BertRacoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Andre, I feel like such an idiot now! I thought the Auto down the side of the switch meant that it was the "auto" switch and that the on and off was to control the auto bit. Now I understand :)

Checked the settings on my amp as well, and the sub is set to Base out: BOTH, and the cross over to 160HZ, does the crossover sound about right for this system or is it impossible to say because it depends on room size etc?

9. andre 3000

andre 3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    robroe,
    My ax750se set the crossover at 160hz too, but i thought this was way high.the room is only 13'x12, ihave settled on reducing the croossover on the amp to 100hz, just make sure you set the crossover on the sub to max and use the amp.also the gain on the sub is set to about 9'oclock,then just set the sub level in the amp,i think mine is set to 0db.

10. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The main thing was the speaker level option in manual setup. I set the front to sub level to max (far right) and it seems to be triggering sub properly so far.

I've set the crossover dial to 80hz on my sub and output level to about 10'o clock position. Also set amp setting for crossover to 80hz. Seems to have triggered the sub so far. Have only tested this for analogue input from ntl digital box so far. Seems to be working ok. Still occasionally experimenting with the level/volume (whatever it's called :) ) to make sure bass isn't booming too much. I'm considering getting SPL meter to fine tune, but don't have a clue about how to use one :) .

I'm not so impressed with prologic II for tv though - probably expecting too much. I'll have to give some Gamecube PLII games a try to see how it goes.

Thanks for your help guys. :smashin:

P.S. Thumbs up to Liam at Progressive-av for getting amp to me darned fast. Made enquiry on Thursday, put my order through on Friday, chilled on Saturday and Sunday, got the amp early Monday morning.