Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha DSP-AX750 and video switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Malky1903, May 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Need a little help here as I'm now planning to route all video through my amp. I need to know the best way of connecting my cables. My set up is as follows with the relevant video/audio inputs. I've ruled out composite connections from the off.

PJ > Component, S Video
    TV > 1 x RGB Scart, 1 x Scart [S Video compatible]
    DVD > Component, S Video, 1 x Scart
    VCR > 2 x Scart
    Sky+ > 2 x Scart, S Video

I would like to be able to view DVD, Sky+ and VCR on both the TV and the PJ.

Thanks in advance.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Use the best signal you can for each source,

For the tv i have s-video out from my amp, and use component to my pj.

I have component and s-video from my dvd to amp, thus the component will be used for the projector while i can also watch dvd using the tv if i want.

I have a dvd recorder which has component out and alos a rgb in, so i use it to convert the rgb from my cable box to component to use on the amp. I also send s-video from the dvd recorder to, for the same reason as the dvd player. For your sky+, you could output it to s-video or get a box that turns the rgb to component.

Everything else use's lower quality output usualy composite, so i just let the amp upconvert it, to which ever i'm using, as it upconverts to both s-video and component at the same time, its very good.

You could maybe get some sort of component splitter and have component to both your tv and pj, using a component to rgb converter. To be honest though on a standard tv i doubt you will notice much difference between s-vid and component.

Also a standard vhs actualy outputs composite even though it has scart, unless its a super vhs in which case you'd get svideo from it.

3. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the input gazbarber. I was hoping to avoid any kind of switch box and just use cables if I can. As my S Video socket on the TV is behind the front panel, would it be wise to use an S Video-Scart cable from the amp to the TV and plug it into AV2?

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Yea that would be fine just make sure that the tv has an s-video scart. It is usaly the one that isn't rgb. Also you may have to put the tv into s-video mode i.e. select it as some tv's would just show a black and white picture other wise.

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Success! Managed to get all the cabling sorted. Went out and bought some cables this afternoon and everything works fine although the VCR picture has like a major screen door effect. Any ideas what's causing this? I have a scart to s-video cable going to the amp and an s-video to scart going into AV2S on the telly.

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    On the denon amps it points to a problem with VCR's - you need to enable "time based correct" on the VCR, if indeed you VCR has such a thing. I would assume this is a generic AMP / video switching issue.

7. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Will look into that. It's something I've never heard of before, the time based correct thing. The VCR is relatively new, about 3 years old so may have such a setting.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Maybe just because composite is such low resolution :(

9. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Could someone in this thread possibly help me with this question then?
    I wasn't sure where to ask it, as I wasn't sure if anyone in the receiver forum would know about JSTech converters.

Cheers