Yamaha dsp-ax640se

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody still uses the Yamaha DSP-AX640SE. I was recently given one so decided to hook it up in my office alongside some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. Anyway, despite the speakers being sat on a coffee table and by no means in a good position i have been pleasantly surprised at how good this sounds for very little output. So i decided to hook the Yamaha AV amp up to my main speakers Dali Oberon 5's in the lounge. To be honest with you it sounds pretty damn good for a 15 year old AV amp in Stereo mode. It's got decent power at 85w into 8 and nearly double that into 4 but I am really surprised considering i thought AV amps in this kind of price bracket weren't meant to be any good for stereo only. Anyway does anybody have any gauge on whether this was or still is a good amp? To my ears it certainly does but wondered what other's people's thoughts or experiences are.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A friend of mine is using an old AX620 with some not quite as old QA floorstanders.

We watch films on it quite often, not much music.

But when I do it’s perfectly listenable.

No great revelation but still, it cost £40 and the speakers were about £90 and he’s had both for around ten years.

As a bargain, old av amps are hard to beat for versatility and more than acceptable sound quality.

Richardxx

In one room I am still using A Yamaha DSP E800 which must be about 20 years old.

Just has 3 powered channels - Centre and two rears. Has Pre-outs for the main L & R channels which are run to a lovely Musical Fidelity stereo amp of the same era and on to an equally vintage pair of Castle Harlech floor standers.
Still sounds OK to me but then my ears are even older.

If my new Yamaha RXA2A last half as long I will be quite pleased.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
In one room I am still using A Yamaha DSP E800 which must be about 20 years old.

Just has 3 powered channels - Centre and two rears. Has Pre-outs for the main L & R channels which are run to a lovely Musical Fidelity stereo amp of the same era and on to an equally vintage pair of Castle Harlech floor standers.
Still sounds OK to me but then my ears are even older.

If my new Yamaha RXA2A last half as long I will be quite pleased.

I had one of the DSP-E800s for around 15 years.

I only ever used it as a very cheap dac/preamp into tons of stuff from actives of all prices and a huge BK 450 power amp.

Pound for pound the best bargain I’ve ever had.

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

A friend of mine is using an old AX620 with some not quite as old QA floorstanders.

We watch films on it quite often, not much music.

But when I do it’s perfectly listenable.

No great revelation but still, it cost £40 and the speakers were about £90 and he’s had both for around ten years.

As a bargain, old av amps are hard to beat for versatility and more than acceptable sound quality.
I’d say this Yammy is more than listenable but maybe I’ve got low standards or haven’t listened to it enough. Will put my Quad back in and see how that sounds in comparison.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom