Yamaha DSP-AX640SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bigsby, Feb 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Question for Yamaha DSP-AX640SE owners.

What setting do you prefer for a 2 channel signal, ie Sky? I started off with PLII Movie, but have recently been using Neo 6 Cinema with good results. Any preferences?

2. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have recently made the same change...

Dunno what made me do it though.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this amp but only use it for either DVDs or CDs, so havent really used the different modes much. I was watching '24 - season 1' the other day which is in 2.0 stereo, then I realised my amp mode was in Pro Logic II. I realised this when I heard something coming from the rear channels. I'm not really sure whether these modes are any good, and what theyre supposed to do. When watching films I just leave in Dolby Digital or DTS, with CDs I leave it in stereo, and that does it for me.

Sorry, I know this doesnt answer your question. Do you use the different modes when watching DVDs?

4. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For DVD's I only use DTS or DD....

5. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 750se and i prefer the neo 6 cinema for tv and 2ch dvd. i think its down to individual taste mate and the amount of speakers you have.

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I prefer to use Dolby Pro Logic II Movie for all TV programming and its Music mode on occasion for CD listening. I haven't listened as much in DTS Neo:6, but what I have found from the listening I have done is that it behaves quite unexpectedly and sometimes incorrectly with surround encoded material. I guess which mode to pick is just a matter of taste and what happens to work best for any particular content and your system setup.

It's quite helpful to know what differs in between the modes though as it explains why they sound different.

As a general rule, Dolby Pro Logic II Movie mode is intended for surround-encoded content and Music mode for regular stereo content. DTS Neo:6 has quite the same ideology behind its Cinema and Music modes. It works quite differently from Dolby Pro Logic II, and is more similar to the original Dolby Pro Logic but with processing split up across multiple frequency bands to improve stability. As a result it tends to give quite different results than Dolby Pro Logic II, which uses a radically different approach to splitting up the sound to multiple channels.

Dolby Pro Logic II's Movie mode corresponds to how surround encoded content is monitored during production, and to preserve the intended soundstage in Dolby Surround/Dolby Stereo content. It is tailored to prioritize intentional surround content, so the surround channels are all in-phase, and have a relative delay to the front channels so as to mask unwanted leakage such as dialog. The Movie mode is not only appropriate for movies, but anything that's Dolby Surround or Dolby Pro Logic II encoded, even the odd Dolby Surround audio CD. Although it's stable enough to be used also for regular stereo content, it may have a somewhat too subtle surround effect and too narrow stereo spread in front.

The Music mode in Dolby Pro Logic II is designed to emphasize the natural ambiance in regular stereo recordings, so the surround channels are out-of-phase and have no relative delay. Unlike Movie mode, they have a high-frequency rolloff to better mimic natural ambience. Music mode may work also for surround encoded content, but there the out-of-phase surround channels may sometimes give a too aggressive surround effect.

The Music mode in DTS Neo:6 in turn reduces the separation to the center channel to avoid the soundstage "piling up" in it and make it more suitable for regular stereo recordings than its Cinema mode.

7. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Zacabeb, I think I'll persevere with Neo 6 Cinema for a while. It seems to be a bit more "phasey" in the rear output, if anyone understands what I mean by that. ;)