1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha DSP-AX630SE - Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ComfortablyNumb, Apr 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Newbie here so go easy :D apologies if this is in the wrong forum or if the questions are laughable.

I have just bought a Yamaha DSP-AX630SE which has replaced a Sony unit bought about 8 years ago, it was the surround of its time but only had Dolby, Simulate and Hall settings, so pretty basic compared to the Yam.
    Things have moved on somewhat so i finally went for the Yam after months of reading reviews and reading through many threads here.

So now ive got it home and all wired up I have a few questions

At the moment I have the following set up with the Yam
    Video - JVC HRS7500EK S-VHS
    TV - Panasonic Tau TX-36PF10
    AV Amp as above
    Sky Digital - Original Grundig box
    DVD - PS2 !! (DVD Player to come in the summer still deciding on which one to get)

Rears - Gale 3060 BiPolar
    Centre - Original Sony centre (crap and will be replaced in time)
    Fronts - a pair of Jamo's from the late 80's 150w, OK you can stop laughing now, one of my questions relates to the front speakers.

I am aware that the Yam is technically a far superior machine compared to a Sony manufactured 8 years ago but there are a few questions i have, here goes

1: My best option for fronts stick with the Jamos use one set of the missions from my Hi Fi set up (dont really want to do that) or go for a smaller less intrusive set of fronts, Ive noticed a lot of cinema set up's have small fronts, there is plenty of bass coming through those Jamo's, do I really need a sub or again does having a sub add to the whole package and improve the overall sound.

2: Which centre, I was considering a gale 3050 to compliment the rears, or as a Mission nut I considered the 77C1.

3: At the moment I have the Sky and S-Video connected only by phono leads. What are the ideal connectors for TV/Vid/DVD/Sky as there seem to be options for optical/S-VHS (this is where i'm really cluless) I dont intend to use this amp for any of my HiFi equipment as I'm more than happy with that set up.

4:What are the best settings for Movies and Music (i.e MTV2 and the like), I have found that I am listening to music through Dolby ProLogic II and Movies on Sky through the DSP settings like Movie Theatre I and II, are Sky movies broadcast as 5.1??

5: My listening area is the front half of a through lounge, dims 20ft x 15 ft at a rough guess, will I need a rear centre, there is probably only 8ft between the two rears, will this improve the whole package??, again i know nothing about 6CH.

If you've had the patience to read through all of this and you can offer your opinions I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
    CN

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DD5.1 on sky+ only
    Use RGB capable scart leads for sky, DVD (SONY or monster leads), and vhs. stereo (2phono) from Vid and sky to amp and optical from PS2
    Set video sourse to RGB and enable optical in ps2 menu.
    That should get you started mate.

3. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Horny

I have to Scarts coming out of the digibox one to the TV and the other to the Video and another Video to TV, that leaves me S-VHS and phono connections left the Phonos go off to the Yammy.

CN

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I would definately invest in a sub it improves the whole home cinema experience imo. You feel the soundtrack when a sub is present as well as hear it. Don't opt for a cheap one though no sub is better than a crap one.
    Generally you should go for speakers of a similar make for front l+r and centre - it makes sense to have speakers with the same signature otherwise you might get conflicts on sound repro. I started with mission then upgraded to B&W's. Size is generally up to you- some people go small with a decent sub I personally went for stand mounted fronts with bipolar wall mounted rears and sub.
    -also rear centre gives the appearance of a lot more movement across the rear sound stage enhancing the overall effect.
    Hope this helps a bit :smashin:

5. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree, there are many subs better than a crap one:laugh:

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I meant that you would be better not having a subwoofer atall than one that performed terribly:)