Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha DSP-AX630SE - Connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SimonD, Feb 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, now I'm confused....

I have just ordered a 630SE and am reading through the manual I downloaded for it to try and figure out what cables/connections I need...

I have a Nokia 221T which has an S/PDIF RCA output along with the 2 L&R RCA outputs.
    But the 630SE has an optical digital input! aargh! So I thought that I could just connect the L&R analog RCA's
    But...
    The Yammy manual states....

So... This means that I won't get surround sound on TV programs, right? Presumably that is not a problem though as Digital Terrestrial isn't broadcast in surround, is it??

So assuming that they don't broadcast surround sound what benefit can be gained by using the S/PDIF connection and how do I use it? can I get an adapter?

Simon

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The simplest way to connect the Nokia 221T to your amp is via a set of phonos, using the L/R outputs on the back of the Nokia to a set of audio inputs on the amp, one that is labled *TV* or *DBS* will do. This will then give you surround sound on selected programmes. ;)

The optical/coxial connections are for dvd and it's multichannel sound.

3. SimonD

SimonD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

Thanks for your reply, L&R Phonos it is then.

Simon

4. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one Co-axial Digital input on the 630SE, it's labelled as being for the CD Player, however you can change the assignments for the different inputs accordingly.

I have my DVD coax Digital cable running through this input ;)

edit: However, I use (and will continue to use when I get Nokia 221T :D ) L/R Phono leads for my TV & ProLogic 2 :smashin:

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Programmes are transmitted in surround sound just not 5.1 digital surround, only good old analogue prologic. My Grundig digibox is connected by the Phonos and I just use Prologic 2 on the Yamaha for surround sound.

The digtal output would let you use the Dolby Digital decoding in the amp, that was if any terrestrial broadcasters were transmitting it.

If you do want to use the digital connection there are S/PDIF to optical convertors available.

How are you connecting the speaker wire? I had to drill out the blanking that Yamaha decided to cover the banana plug sockets with to fit mine. Either that or cut the plugs of my wires.

6. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prized off those caps with a knife (and binned em ;)), then the banana plugs fitted no problem